One of the most stunning and epic cakes I’ve made to date! I present to you my latest cake creation – Tatyana’s Torte. This incredible hazelnut and caramel coffee cake is made with rich and moist coffee cake layers which are soaked with Kahlua liqueur, crunchy hazelnut meringue layers, frosted with a salted caramel version of my favorite French Buttercream and topped with a simple chocolate ganache, a golden crown and my Caramel Coffee Macarons. You’ve never had so much goodness in cake!! I had the idea for this incredible cake recipe a few months ago when I wanted to create a cake using all my favorite recipes! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video for step-by-step instructions and watch me frost and decorate the cake, too! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
For Tatyana’s Torte, I also used the following recipes:
- French Buttercream – I made 1 1/2 portions of this incredible buttercream for this recipe; ingredient amounts listed below! Instead of the melted chocolate I used in my original recipe, I added dulce de leche. If you can’t find this thick caramel made from sweetened condensed milk, you can use my ‘Home-Made Caramel Sauce‘ recipe instead. Also, try adding a teaspoon of coffee extract for more coffee flavor!
- Chocolate Ganache – this incredibly simple cake garnish is one of my favorite ways to finish off a cake! It’s super easy to make, too!
- Caramel Coffee Macarons – my all-time favorite macarons! These coffee cookies are perfect for this coffee cake recipe!
- Gold Crown – the beautiful gold crown was gifted to me from Lea’s Sugar Flowers. Check out her online Etsy store for more incredible toppers!
How to Make Hazelnut Meringue
One of my favorite parts about this coffee cake recipe is the crunchy hazelnut meringue layers! These meringue layers were inspired by the iconic, Ukrainian Kyiv Cake. This recipe is also similar to Pavlova but baked for longer, until the meringue is crunchy all the way through. The flavor is beyond amazing! Because the meringue requires 3 hours baking time, it can be prepared ahead of time, up to 3 days in advance. Allow the meringue to cool completely, then store at room temperature in a sealed ziplock bag. Here are some tips to get the best results:
- Always start with a super clean mixing bowl. Even a tiny drop of grease will cause the egg whites to fall flat. Wash your mixing bowl with white vinegar and degreasing soup for a super clean bowl.
- Try adding cream of tartar to stabilize the egg whites. The cream of tartar will help get the egg whites to stiff peak stage faster, too.
- Ever made meringue and get pools of caramelized sugar? That’s because the sugar crystals didn’t dissolve completely. To avoid this, first whisk the egg whites and sugar on low speed for 2 to 3 minutes, until you can no longer feel the crystals between your fingers. Then turn up the mixer to high speed and continue with the recipe.
- Bake the meringue low and slow!! I recommend baking at 230F for 3 hours and allow the meringue to cool in the oven to avoid cracks!
The Best Coffee Cake Layers
I love coffee cake and this recipe does not disappoint! For Tatyana’s Torte, I used a version of my ‘Basic Vanilla Cake’ and increased the size and added coffee. It’s an incredible coffee-flavored cake option for any cake recipe. I also soaked the cake layers with Kahlua coffee liqueur for even more moisture and coffee flavor. If you don’t want to add alcohol to your cake, make this simple coffee syrup instead!
Non-Alcoholic Coffee Syrup
To soak the cake layers and add more coffee flavor, I used Kahlua coffee liqueur. Here’s a quick recipe for non-alcoholic coffee syrup you can use for this recipe:
- Combine 3/4 cup boiling water with 1/3 cup sugar and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add 2 tablespoons instant coffee and stir again until it’s combined. If desired, add 1 teaspoon rum extract for more flavor. Allow the syrup to cool completely before using in this recipe.
Enjoyed this recipe? Share it on Pinterest!
Enjoyed this incredible cake recipe? Check out some more ideas on my blog!
- Coffee Tres Leches Cake – coffee-flavored sponge cake soaked with a tres leches syrup and frosted with coffee whipped cream frosting!
- Chocolate Coffee Eclairs – delicious eclairs filled with coffee filling and glazed with chocolate!
- Coffee Caramel Macaron Cake – just a giant macaron in cake form! Perfect for a special occasion!
- Triple Layered Coffee Cheesecake – one of my all-time favorite recipes! So delicious!