Easy, 6 ingredient recipe for the best caramel sauce recipe ever! Who doesn’t absolutely LOVE a good caramel sauce?! Have you ever tried making your own at home? Making your own caramel sauce is super easy! And once you try it, you’ll never go back to the bottled variety. It’s perfect for drizzling over everything – coffee drinks, cakes and desserts.
Watch My Video!
Make sure to watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions! Want new recipe updates? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel!
How To Make Caramel Sauce
Ahh, I could eat my screen right now! That little drizzle of caramel sauce going down the side of the jar looks so good! I used to make home made caramel sauce all the time when I was just a kid experimenting in the kitchen – it’s that easy! Here are a few tips to make perfect caramel:
- DO NOT STIR! Just one simple rule that can make or break your recipe! If you ever get a grainy, sandy type of caramel sauce, that means the sugar didn’t melt equally as it was cooking. Once you mix together the sugar and water, don’t stir the mixture; just let it cook away. Also, try to use a saucepan that isn’t too big or too small for the mixture.
- Cook over medium heat, allowing the sugar to melt uniformly.
- Cook until the sugar caramelizes into a rich, brown color. The darker the color, the more intense the flavor. But be careful not to burn the caramel – no one likes burnt caramel!
- Add the vanilla and butter last, ensuring that the vanilla flavor doesn’t get cooked out of the sauce.
- Keep the ready sauce covered with plastic wrap so a film doesn’t form on top.
I love to use my home made caramel sauce for my ‘Salted Caramel Buttercream’ in place of dulce de leche. I make the sauce the night before, then refrigerate it overnight. It thickens up nicely and can be used as a spread or for the frosting recipe!
Enjoyed this recipe? Please save and share it to Pinterest for later!
Try it in my ‘Salted Caramel Frosting’ with my home-made caramel sauce. It’s one of my favorite frosting recipes! Get the recipe: https://tatyanaseverydayfood.com/recipe-items/salted-caramel-frosting/
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
Here’s a similar stainless steel pot to the one I always use – so convenient!
I love this sturdy All-Clad whisk – gets the job done well!
If you ever need an extra burner, this is the one I use in all my videos.
And these cute mason jars are great for storing the caramel!