The one and only recipe you’ll ever need for Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting. This buttercream recipe is perfectly balanced, incredibly delicious and can be used for just about everything! I make my caramel frosting with sweet dulce de leche caramel, which is a richer and thicker version of caramel than regular caramel sauce. And make sure to check out more of my ‘Back to Cake Basics’ series!
This caramel frosting recipe will frost an 8-inch cake, or 24 cupcakes.
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions! Want new recipe updates? Subscribe to my YouTube channel to get a notification each time a new recipe goes live!
All the Caramel!
Salted caramel frosting is all about the caramel! I use dulce de leche for this recipe, making it really rich and flavorful. Dulce de leche is sweetened condensed milk that has been cooked in the sealed can, resulting in a thick caramel paste. Although you can make your own, I recommend purchasing it already pre-made from your local grocery store. You can also use my home-made caramel sauce for this recipe. Just place the caramel into the refrigerator to set overnight, then use in this recipe! Get the recipe: https://tatyanaseverydayfood.com/recipe-items/caramel-sauce/
Where to Use It!
This caramel buttercream recipe is great for so many cakes and desserts! I use it for cake creations like my ‘Almond Roca Cake‘. It goes well with vanilla and chocolate cake, or even as a filling for macarons!
Check out so of my other recipes using this delicious frosting recipe! You’re sure to enjoy these!
- Chocolate Toffee Cupcakes – rich chocolate cake with salted caramel and toffee bit!
- Coffee Caramel Macaron Cake – a giant macaron stacked like a cake with this frosting!
- Caramel Pumpkin Cake – the best fall cake with pumpkin cake layers and homemade caramel sauce!
- Chocolate Caramel Cream Puffs – the most decadent profiteroles with caramel filling, toffee bits and gold leaf!
- Coffee Caramel Macarons – my favorite flavor! These coffee cookies are filled with caramel!
Enjoyed this recipe? Save it to Pinterest for later!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting (video)
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 14 ounce can dulce de leche
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt, adjust to flavor
- 2 to 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- Place softened, unsalted butter into mixing bowl. Whisk on high speed for about 5 minutes, until butter is light and fluffy. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl often to get all the butter mixed well.
- Add the dulce de leche (cooked sweetened condensed milk). If you cannot find dulce de leche, use a similar caramel sauce. If necessary, increase the amount of confectioner's sugar to thicken the frosting.
- Add the vanilla and salt. Start by adding 1/4 teaspoon salt, then add more if needed. Begin adding the confectioner's sugar 1 cup at a time, scraping down sides of mixing bowl often to get everything incorporated. Make sure to sift confectioner's sugar before adding to avoid any clumps. After adding all sugar, whisk on high speed for 2 to 3 minutes to get frosting very fluffy.