Affogato – the ultimate Italian summer dessert! This easy coffee drink or dessert is bound to become a favorite! For my affogato recipe, you’ll need strong coffee or espresso, caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream. Originally made with just espresso poured over vanilla ice cream, my version amps up the flavor even more!! I love to use my homemade caramel sauce and occasionally some flavored liqueurs. I like to add a few splashes of Kahlua coffee rum liqueur, or sweet and creamy Bailey’s Irish Cream.
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for all the details and step-by-step instructions. Want to receive new recipe emails? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How to Make Affogato
You’ll love how EASY it is to make this Italian dessert recipe! You’ll need just a few ingredients – strong brewed coffee or espresso shots. This drink is traditionally made with espresso but since not everyone has an espresso machine at home, strong brewed coffee will also work well. Regular or decaf will both work great! Have the coffee piping hot and ready to go!
Next, pick out your ice cream! Traditionally made with vanilla ice cream, I love to enjoy this dessert with caramel ice cream instead! You can use almost any type of ice cream or gelato for this recipe. Here are some more flavors to try: chocolate, vanilla bean, white chocolate raspberry or even peppermint! Add a scoop or two of ice cream into a glass or bowl, pour over with the hot coffee and add a drizzle of my homemade caramel sauce. You can also add flavored liqueurs such as Kahlua or Bailey’s for more flavor! Enjoy the dessert right away!
Perfect for Summer!
I love to order this Italian dessert drink wherever I can, especially if the shop has caramel ice cream! Many cafes have affogato on their menus, especially during summer! It’s a great way to end the evening – a cooling dessert and drink in one! If you haven’t tried this yet, you’re seriously missing out! Try serving this coffee drink as a dessert bar, allowing everyone to make their own unique version!
Looking for more easy dessert recipes? Check out some of my favorite coffee flavored recipes!
- White Chocolate Raspberry Ice Cream – get ready for the best berry ice cream, with raspberry swirls, cookies and chocolate!
- My ‘Caramel Coffee Ice Cream’ is a great choice for summer, too!
- Coffee Eclairs – with chocolate glaze and the best coffee filling!
- Coffee Tres Leches Cake – delicate coffee sponge cake with whipped cream frosting!
Share it on Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
Affogato - Coffee Ice Cream Dessert (video)
- 1 to 2 cups Strong-brewed coffee or espresso
- 1 cup Sea-salt caramel ice cream
- 1 cup vanilla bean ice cream
- 1/3 cup home-made caramel sauce
- 4 oz optional liqueurs: Irish cream, Kahlua, orange liqueur
- 4 waffle cookies, optional; for serving
- Prepare several shots of espresso or brew extra-strong coffee using a French press or coffee machine.
- Add 2 scoops of desired vanilla or caramel (or both) ice cream into a glass coffee cup or parfait tray. Add 1 tablespoon of liqueur, if desired. Drizzle with caramel sauce. Once coffee is ready, add 1 to 2 shots per cup, about 1/4 cup. Garnish with waffle cookie, if desired. Serve immediately.