Chocolate coffee eclairs – I cannot say enough about how delicious these are! You’ll fall in love with this pate a choux dessert from the first bite! These beauties are piped full of creamy coffee custard filling; not too sweet and just the right amount of goodness, then dipped into chocolate. I love garnishing the top with white chocolate and gold sprinkles to make these extra special. Enjoy these coffee custard eclairs with a cup of coffee or a glass of wine after dinner.
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for all the details on making these amazing treats! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Making Pate a Choux
This elegant, show-stopping dessert can seem intimidating to make at home, but it’s actually quite easy! You’ll need just 5 ingredients for the eclair shells – eggs, water, flour, butter and a pinch of salt! Here are a few tips for making pate a choux successfully!
- When baking the eclair shells, resist the temptation to open your oven door! These shells are very temperature sensitive and can collapse easily with a blast of cool air.
- Bake the shells until they are a deep golden color; underbaking will also cause them to collapse.
- I recommend filling the pastries the same day, once they cool. The shells can and will go stale if left out uncovered.
Coffee Custard Filling
These custard eclairs are filled with an amazing coffee-flavor custard cream. The first step is making a simple custard with a touch of coffee. Once the custard is completely cooled, a bit of butter is added to make it fluffier. This filling is similar to a German buttercream. You can learn more about making the custard and buttercream with my tutorial HERE.
Once you have these stunning coffee custard eclairs assembled, keep them refrigerated for up to 3 days until you’re ready to enjoy!
Enjoyed this French pastry recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Raspberry Pistachio Eclairs – filled with the most amazing pistachio cream and berries!
- Caramel Chocolate Profiteroles – the most decadent cream puff recipe with toffee, caramel and gold leaf!
- Nutella Cream Puffs – chocolate-dipped profiteroles with Nutella whipped cream filling!
- Strawberry Basil Eclairs – with the most unique basil filling and strawberry glaze!
Share it on Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
I love my handheld KitchenAid mixer is great for smaller jobs like mixing batter.
Use these non-stick silicone mats for baking, along with these aluminum baking sheets.
This set of jumbo cake decorating tips includes my favorite tips.
And this filling tip by Ateco is great for piping eclairs and cream puffs full of cream.