Classic chocolate ganache – this pastry and dessert staple has been around forever and it’s not going away anytime soon! You can never go wrong with using it to garnish cakes, pastries, tarts, or filling pastries and desserts. My simple recipe for chocolate glaze and chocolate ganache filling is super easy to make. This recipe calls for just 2 ingredients that you probably have in your kitchen right now: chocolate and cream!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe notifications? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel!
Glaze Vs. Filling
How To Make Chocolate Ganache
Smooth and silky chocolate glaze ganache is an elegant and easy finish to any cake, giving the cake eye-catching style! I use this recipe to garnish many, many of my cakes, like this incredible ‘Almond Roca Cake’ or my fruity ‘Strawberry Tuxedo Cake’. Here are a few tips for making the glaze perfectly every time:
- Heat the cream until it’s steaming but not boiling hot. Burnt cream will cause the glaze to be clumpy.
- Once you add the chocolate to the cream, let it stand for a few minutes, allowing it to melt.
- Let the glaze cool before pouring it over your cake or pastries. I usually let mine cool for 5 to 15 minutes, depending on how thick I want the glaze to be.
- To add extra shine to this glaze recipe, add 1 teaspoon of shortening along with the chocolate.
How To Make Ganache Filling
I absolutely love how rich and creamy chocolate ganache is! It’s perfect for filling cakes, tarts and even macarons! This thicker ganache is made very similarly to the glaze, except with less cream and it’s chilled to thicken the mixture.
- When making the chocolate filling, do not over mix, as this can cause the fats in the chocolate and cream to separate.
- Whisk the chocolate in intervals: 5 minutes in the fridge, then mix. Or, simply place the ganache into the fridge to chill completely, then whisk it once to the desired consistency.
Enjoyed this recipe? Save it for later to Pinterest!
Looking for more chocolate inspiration? Try my ‘Chocolate Buttercream’ recipe next!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
I love using this set of nesting glass mixing bowls for food prep.
I have at least 5 of these Pyrex measuring cups!
These disposable pastry bags are a huge time saver and work so well for frosting and ganache.
My handy, handheld KitchenAid mixer is great for when I don’t want to use my large mixer.