I love me some chocolate cake and I’ve been on the task to come up with the best chocolate cake recipe. And this one is it! This basic recipe for chocolate cake layers is perfect for any cake! The cake batter is made with butter, eggs and milk, yielding a soft, delicate and ultra chocolate-y cake, just bursting with richness and flavor! Just add your favorite frosting and filling and you’re all set!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe notifications? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel!
How To Make Chocolate Cake
- Make sure to soften the butter before using in the recipe. Whisk the butter and sugar until they are super fluffy! This will help make a smooth batter.
- Whisk well after adding the eggs to ensure an even mixture. Don’t stir after adding the milk; just mix it in once you add the dry ingredients. Stirring the milk into the batter may cause it to look separated but that is okay. The recipe is not ruined!
- Use a combination of cocoa powder and chocolate to get the most chocolate flavor! The cocoa powder adds a rich, chocolate flavor and the melted chocolate adds moisture.
- Add a bit of espresso or coffee to the cake brings out the rich flavor of the chocolate; you won’t actually taste the coffee!
Pan Sizing Guide
- 2 or 3, 8-inch rounds; 2, 10-inch rounds
- 13×17-inch jelly roll pan for a sheet cake; 10×10-inch square pan
- 24 count cupcake pan
- 10-inch bundt cake pan
This cake recipe is part of my ‘Back To Cake Basics’ series! In this series, I’m sharing basic cake, frosting and filling recipes that you can use for all your baking needs. I’m so glad I got the opportunity to create this series because sometimes, you just need a basic recipe that simple and straightforward. If you need a frosting recipe, I’ve got you cover with several options! If you need a killer-good home-made caramel sauce, I’ve got you covered, too!
Try my chocolate sponge cake next! https://tatyanaseverydayfood.com/recipe-items/chocolate-sponge-cake-recipe/
Try this cake with my ‘Chocolate Buttercream’ frosting! Get the recipe: https://tatyanaseverydayfood.com/recipe-items/chocolate-buttercream/
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
I love my handy, handheld KitchenAid mixer for when I don’t need my larger stand mixer.
This set of nesting glass mixing bowls are great for food prep.
These 8-inch aluminum cake pans are my favorite for baking cake layers.
And these pre-cut parchment paper rounds are a huge time saver.