A simple recipe for simply the best chocolate buttercream frosting! This easy frosting recipe yields a silky smooth, ultra chocolate-y, luscious and fluffy buttercream! It’s made with cocoa powder and melted chocolate for an intense chocolate flavor! This amazing chocolate frosting is perfect for cakes, cupcakes and any dessert your heart desires! This recipe makes enough frosting for a three layer, 8-inch cake; two-layer, 9-inch cake; or 24 cupcakes. Make sure to check out the rest of my ‘Back to Cake Basics’ episodes for more cake and frosting recipes!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How To Make The Best Buttercream!
To give this frosting the best flavor, I use a combination of melted chocolate and cocoa powder. The melted chocolate adds creaminess to the frosting and the cocoa powder adds all the chocolate flavor.
- Before adding anything else to the mixer, make sure to whisk the softened butter until it’s super fluffy and pale white in color and don’t forget to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl often. Only then start adding the chocolate and sugar.
- Make sure to use unsalted butter and soften the butter, do not melt it! If you forgot to take the butter out of the fridge ahead of time, this can be done in the microwave. Just place the wrapped butter onto a tray and heat in 10 second intervals, turning the butter every 10 seconds, heating up to 1 minute.
‘Back to Cake Basics’
My chocolate buttercream recipe is part of my ‘Back To Cake Basics’ series! In this series, I’m sharing basic cake, frosting and filling recipes that you can use for all your baking needs. I’m so glad I got the opportunity to create this series because sometimes, you just need a basic recipe that simple and straightforward. If you need a cake, frosting or filling recipe, I’ve got you cover with several options!
- French Buttercream – silky smooth and so delicious! Made with egg yolks and sugar syrup.
- Italian Meringue Buttercream – fluffy and creamy, made with egg whites and sugar syrup.
- Cream Cheese Frosting – a favorite classic that’s creamy and delicious!
- Lemon Buttercream – this amazing buttercream is zesty and sour!
Enjoyed this recipe? Save it to Pinterest for later!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
I love this set of jumbo cake decorating tips! It includes all my favorite tips for frosting cakes and cupcakes.
I always use disposable pastry bags for my cakes – no cleaning and less mess!
And these cake spatulas are a must for any cake decorator!