Have you ever seen a checkered cake and wondered how they do it? Well, it’s actually quite easy and I’ll show you just how to make this cake recipe at home! My Triple Chocolate Checkered Cake takes chocolate cakes to a new level of decadence! It’s made with alternating layers of moist and tender dark and white chocolate cake layers and frosted with a dark chocolate frosting. It’s so much fun to make and even more fun to eat!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe updates? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel!
How To Make A Checkered Cake
I always wondered how they make checkered cakes and thought there must be some magic process! In fact, it’s super easy!
- All you’ll need is two vanilla cake layers and two chocolate cake layers. I make the chocolate cake layers with loads of real chocolate, which makes them very moist but delicate.
- I recommend waiting for the cake layers to cool completely and allow them to rest for a few hours, or overnight, for easier handling.
- Just use a set of round cookie cutters, or even trace circles on paper then cut using a knife. Alternate the pieces of dark and white chocolate cake until each layer unique.
To hold all that cake together, I recommend using a chocolate buttercream. I have several great recipes on my blog, like my original ‘Chocolate Buttercream Recipe’ or my chocolate ‘French Buttercream Recipe’. Both are great options!
Perfect for Parties!
This fun checkered cake is the perfect choice for a special celebration! Enjoy it for birthdays, graduations, anniversaries and more! Imagine the look on your friends and family’s faces when you cut into this cake to reveal the inside! I love to garnish the top with a drizzled of melted chocolate, generous dollops of chocolate frosting and a few truffles and chocolate pieces.
More Cake Recipes!
Enjoyed this fun and delicious cake recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- German Chocolate Cake – the best ever recipe with a creamy coconut filling and rich chocolate buttercream!
- Chocolate Turtle Cake – rich chocolate layers with caramel and caramel frosting!
- 12-Layer Chocolate Cake – the tallest cake I ever made, with alternating layers of white and dark chocolate!
- This epic ‘Strawberry Tuxedo Cake’ is with no-bake cheesecake layers and loads of strawberries!
Enjoyed this recipe? Please share and save it to Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
How to Make a Chocolate Checkered Cake (video)
For Cake Layers:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips, melted
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
For Chocolate Frosting:
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 to 5 cups confectioner's sugar
- 6 white truffles; broken chocolate pieces
- 1/4 cup melted dark and white chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2, 8-inch cake rounds with parchment paper and spray down the sides with baking spray; set aside.
- Prepare the cake batter. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat again until creamy. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt. Stir them together, then add the dry ingredients into the cake batter. Pour in the milk, then whisk everything together by hand, just until combined; don't over-mix the batter.
- Melt the 1/2 cup white and dark chocolate in the microwave or over a double boiler. Divide the cake batter in half between 2 mixing bowls. Add the melted dark chocolate into one bowl, the melted white chocolate into the second. Mix the chocolate into the cake batter until well combined. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pans. Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool slightly into the pans, then invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Prepare the chocolate frosting. Place the softened butter into a mixing bowl. Mix on high speed until butter is light and fluffy. Add the vanilla, cocoa powder, heavy cream and 1 cup of confectioner's sugar. Gradually add the remaining sugar while mixing on low speed. Once all of the sugar is added, scrape down sides of the mixing bowl, then mix on high speed for a few minutes until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Assemble the checkered cake. Split each cake layer in half. Use 6-inch and 2-inch round cookie cutters to cut each layer into 3 pieces. Swap out the center and outer rings; watch video for more details.
- Assemble the cake with alternating layers, spreading frosting between each layer. Frost the top and sides; smooth down with a flat spatula. Garnish the cake with melted chocolate and chocolate truffles.