12 Layer Chocolate Cake (video)
Because sometimes a simple, two-layer chocolate cake recipe is simply not enough! My 12 Layer Chocolate Cake takes cake to a whole new level with alternating layers of dark and white chocolate and frosted with the silkiest French buttercream. I also add a simple whipped cream frosting to the sides and top. For the finishing touches, I add a chocolate wrap and delicate chocolate garnishes to take the cake over the top!
Watch My Chocolate Cake Video Tutorial!
Watch my YouTube video tutorial for all the details and step-by-step instructions for making this 12-layer cake! To get new recipe updates, make sure you’re subscribed to my website emailing list and my YouTube channel! And, watch all the separate recipe tutorial for step-by-step instructions.
How It’s Made!
For this 12 layer cake, I used my ‘Perfect Chocolate Cake‘ recipe and my ‘Basic Vanilla Cake’ recipe; both from my ‘Back to Cake Basics’ series. These recipes for chocolate and vanilla cake are perfect for this layered cake, and you can use it for all your cake recipes. The recipes yield a very delicate, fluffy, moist and perfectly delicious cake layer every time!
Chocolate Cake Recipe
Get the recipe for this chocolate cake recipe here: https://tatyanaseverydayfood.com/recipe-items/perfect-chocolate-cake/
Vanilla Cake Recipe
Get the recipe for the vanilla cake here: https://tatyanaseverydayfood.com/recipe-items/simple-vanilla-cake/
French Buttercream Frosting
For the frosting, I went with my new favorite buttercream recipe – chocolate French buttercream. If you haven’t had a chance to try this frosting, you’re in for a treat! It’s not too sweet, super silky and ultra rich! For this 12 layer cake, I made 1 1/2 portions of the recipe – get those ingredients below! In other words, the best buttercream recipe out there!
The Chocolate Cake Wrap
What better way to garnish a 12 layer chocolate cake than with more chocolate?! I have a separate tutorial for the chocolate wrap and chocolate garnishes. Make sure to watch it! It’s super fun to make these garnishes and you’ll be able to make any cake look beautiful and professional! https://tatyanaseverydayfood.com/recipe-items/chocolate-cake-wrap/
Enjoyed this decadent cake recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- German Chocolate Cake – this iconic chocolate coconut cake is always a good choice!
- Chocolate Cherry Mousse Cake – the fluffiest chocolate mousse with chocolate sponge cake and fresh cherries!
- 40-Layer Chocolate Crepe Cake – rich chocolate crepes layered with fluffy chocolate filling!
- The Best Dark Chocolate Cake – decadent, rich and extra chocolatey, dark chocolate cake with chocolate cream cheese frosting and chocolate ganache!
Share it on Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
- I use a bulk roll of acetate cake collar – just cut it down to size for any cake or cheesecake.
- I love the aluminum cake pans for baking the layers.
- And this set of off-set spatulas and this bench scrapper are a must for any cake decorating.
- You’ll love this classic Ateco cake turntable – makes decorating cakes a breeze!
12 Layer Chocolate Cake (video)
- 1 recipe ‘Perfect Chocolate Cake’
- 1 recipe ‘Basic Vanilla Cake’
For French Buttercream:
- 6 egg yolks, plus 1 whole egg
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup minus 2 tbsp water
- 3 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- sprinkle of fine salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
For Chocolate Syrup:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chocolate liqueur
- For Whipped Cream Frosting, optional
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar, optional
- Prepare the chocolate and vanilla cake layers first. Prepare one batch of each recipe, dividing the batter among 3, 8-inch round cake pans. Bake the layers at 350F for 27 to 29 minutes. Allow the layers to cool completely, then use a long serrated knife to split the layers in half, creating 12 layers total.
- Prepare the chocolate French buttercream next. I use 1 1/2 portions of the recipe, listing the ingredients above. If you prefer to have a lot of frosting on your cake, or you don’t want to make the whipped cream frosting, simply double the buttercream recipe.
- For the whipped cream; optional: in a large mixing bowl, beat the softened cream cheese for a few minutes until it’s creamy. Add the melted white chocolate and vanilla and mix again until smooth. Wait for the mixture to cool, then add the whipped cream. Beat for 4 to 5 minutes on high speed until the frosting forms stiff peaks.
- For the syrup, simply combine the water and chocolate liqueur in a small bowl or measuring cup.
- To assemble the cake, soak each layer lightly with the chocolate syrup, then frost with the French buttercream. To ensure the tall cake stays even and stable, make sure the first 3 to 4 layers are as straight and even as you can possibly make them.
- After stacking all 12 layers, frost the top and sides of the cake with a crumb coat and level with a spatula. Chill the cake in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, then frost with more buttercream or use the whipped cream frosting to finish frosting the cake.
- Garnish the cake with a chocolate cake wrap and chocolate garnishes.
Is there instructions on how to make the buttercream or am I missing them? I want to make this for my baby’s first birthday and I love your cakes btw:)
Hi Elizabeth! So sorry for the confusion! I used my French Buttercream recipe for this cake and I have a separate video and blog post for that frosting! You can use regular buttercream, too! 🙂 Here’s that recipe: https://tatyanaseverydayfood.com/recipe-items/french-buttercream/