The best chocolate mousse cake recipe with fresh cherries! My chocolate cherry mousse cake is made with delicate chocolate sponge cake, extra rich and fluffy chocolate mousse filling, loads of fresh cherries and cherry liqueur! I topped it off with more whipped cream and cherries! This extraordinary cherry cake is perfect for summertime celebrations!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video for step-by-step instructions and watch my put it together! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
The Chocolate Mousse
This chocolate cherry cake is filled with the most incredible and rich chocolate mousse! It’s made with semi-sweet chocolate, stabilized whipped cream and my ‘Vanilla Pastry Cream’ as the base. I have a separate video recipe for the cream if you want in-depth instructions! The pastry cream can be prepared even a few days ahead of time as it needs to cool completely before being used for this chocolate cake recipe. You can add the chocolate chips directly into the hot cream or later once the cream is cooled; stir in the melted chocolate chips until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Next, prepare the stabilized whipped cream.
- Whisk the heavy cream until stiff and fluffy peaks form.
- Add unflavored gelatin to the mousse filling to stabilize it, so it sets firmly. You can also use agar gelatin for this recipe.
- Gently fold together the whipped cream and the cooled chocolate pastry cream, keeping the whipped cream fluffy!
The Chocolate Sponge Cake
I used my ‘Sponge Cake’ recipe for this chocolate mousse cake, from my ‘Back to Cake Basics’ series. I have a separate video recipe for these cake layers! Prepare the chocolate cake in two, 8 or 9-inch cake pans, whichever size you want to use for the final cake assembly. If you’re using 9-inch cake pans, the cake layers will be slightly thinner and you will need to use a 9-inch springform pan for assembling the cake. Allow the chocolate cake to cool completely, then cut the layers in half using a serrated knife, creating 4 layers total. If you want an extra-extra rich cake, try using my ‘Best Chocolate Cake’ recipe, which has more moisture.
The Boozy Cherries
You’ll love the delicious cherries combined with the mousse and cake layers! I recommend using fresh cherries for this recipe, if possible. Pit and then quarter the cherries, then place into a large bowl. Pour anywhere from 1/2 cup to 1 cup of cherry liqueur over the fruit and let it stand while you’re preparing the rest of the ingredients. When you’re assembling the cake, spoon both cherries and liqueur over the sponge cake layers! Feel free to add more liqueur to soak the cake layers even more.
- Non-Alcoholic Version: don’t want any alcohol in this cake recipe? Replace the liqueur with cherry, pomegranate, grape or even apple juice. You can also use fruity juice cocktails.
Enjoyed this decadent chocolate cherry mousse cake? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Triple Lemon Mousse Cake – the best lemon cake ever, with fluffy lemon mousse!
- Pancho Torte – this unique dome cake is filled with cherries, pineapple and chocolate cake!
- Easy Honey Cherry Cake – super easy and delicious cherry cake, perfect for breakfast!
- Mandarin Mousse Cake – fruity and zesty orange mousse cake!
Share it on Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
- Acetate cake collar – line your springform pan with this plastic wrap to create tall and beautiful cakes!
- 8-inch springform pan – assemble your cake into a springform pan to make is super easy to serve!
- KitchenAid handheld mixer – this small mixer is perfect for getting lighter baking jobs done!
- Coffee Extract – this optional extract helps intensify the chocolate flavor of this cake!