The most stunning and delicious chocolate turtle cake recipe! This incredible cake is inspired by one of my favorite chocolates – the caramel pecan chocolate ‘turtle’. To make this chocolate cake, I used my ‘Perfect Chocolate Cake’ recipe, my homemade ‘Caramel Sauce’ recipe and a fluffy milk chocolate buttercream. The crunchy and creamy caramel pecan filling on the inside is magical! It’s the perfect turtle cake recipe!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions and to learn how to decorate the cake! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How to Make Turtle Cake
Making this chocolate turtle cake is a breeze! First, you’ll need to prepare my ‘Perfect Chocolate Cake’ recipe. For a taller cake like mine, you’ll need to prepare 1 1/2 portions of the original recipe; please see the ingredient list for those measurements. This chocolate cake is very delicate and moist, made with chocolate chips, cocoa powder and coffee to really bring out the chocolate flavor. Once the cake layers are completely cooled, level off the top with a serrated knife. The cake layers are very moist but if desired, a simple syrup can be used to add more moisture. Get the recipe for the syrup below!
For the iconic caramel pecan turtle filling, I used my ‘Homemade Caramel Sauce’ recipe. This super easy, no-fail recipe is perfect for so many recipes and you can eat it by the spoonful! Use about 1 cup of the caramel sauce for the filling, along with a cup of chopped pecans. Reserve the remainder of the caramel for garnishing the cake and serve it on the side.
And to bring everything together, this cake is frosted with an incredible, fluffy milk chocolate buttercream! For my video recipe, I used my basic buttercream and added melted milk chocolate. If you don’t like American buttercream, try adding 1 cup melted chocolate chips to my ‘French Buttercream’ or my ‘Italian Meringue Buttercream’. Either one is a great option! Just allow the chocolate to chill slightly before adding it into the butter, otherwise the hot chocolate will melt the butter.
- For best results, whisk the softened, unsalted butter for at least 6 to 8 minutes on high speed, scraping down the sides of your mixing bowl often, until the butter is fluffy and almost white in color. Only then should you start adding the rest of the ingredients!
- If your buttercream is not becoming fluffy and voluminous, your butter is too soft! Place the mixing bowl into the refrigerator for 20 minutes, then whisk again.
Enjoyed this incredible chocolate cake recipe?! Check out some of my other cake creations!
- German Chocolate Cake – the best German chocolate cake with classic coconut filling!
- 12 Layer Chocolate Cake – if you need layers, this cake has 12 of them! Perfect for a special occasion!
- Chocolate Truffle Crepe Cake – the ultimate chocolate crepe cake with truffle filling!
- Tatyana’s Torte – EPIC hazelnut, caramel and coffee cake!
Enjoyed this recipe? Share it on Pinterest!