If you love cinnamon rolls, you are going to love this epic cinnamon roll cake recipe! It’s inspired by one of my favorite breakfast foods! To make this amazing cinnamon cake, I start with buttermilk cinnamon and vanilla cake layers. For the filling, I use cinnamon-flavored dulce de leche and frost the cake with a cinnamon version of my Classic Cream Cheese Frosting. I’ve made hundreds of cakes and this one is definitely in my top 10! It’s dangerously delicious! You’ll be coming back for seconds!
Watch My Video
Watch my YouTube video recipe for step-by-step instructions and watch me assemble the cake! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Cinnamon Cake Layers
My cinnamon roll cake starts with the incredible buttermilk cinnamon cake layers! These cake layers are so moist and delicate and delicious! Start by combining all the wet ingredients and sugar in a large mixing bowl: buttermilk, oil, eggs, vanilla, brown sugar and white sugar. Mix until the eggs are well beaten. Next, it’s time for the dry ingredients. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until combined.
Bake the cinnamon cake batter in three, 8-inch cake pans for about 25 to 27 minutes. The cake layers need to be completely cooled before using in the recipe! I recommend cooling them on a wire rack for about 1 ½ hours. Once they’re cooled, take a long, serrated knife and level the cakes. By exposing the inside of the cake, the caramel filling can fill the little air pockets!
Dulce de Leche Filling
What I love about cinnamon rolls is the caramelized cinnamon filling! To imitate that delicious filling for my cinnamon roll cake recipe, I created my own version using dulce de leche! The cinnamon-flavored dulce de leche goes so well with the cake layers and the cinnamon cream cheese frosting!
To make the easy filling, simply combine one, 13-ounce can of dulce de leche with a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix the spices into the caramel thoroughly and it’s all done!
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
My easy 5-Ingredient Cream Cheese Frosting recipe is the perfect option for this cinnamon roll cake! It tastes just like the spread I use for my original cinnamon roll recipe! I have a separate video recipe for this frosting, which is part of my ‘Back to Cake Basics’ series. For this cake recipe, I added just 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the frosting.
Cream cheese frosting can often become soft and hard to work with. My solution? I like to prepare the frosting the evening before and let it chill in the refrigerator overnight! As the frosting chills, it really thickens and takes on a new consistency. I remove the frosting an hour or 2 before I need to use, allowing it to come up to room temperature. Don’t have time to chill the frosting overnight? Even an hour or 2 will work great!
- The cream cheese and butter should not be too soft or melted! This will also cause the frosting to be too soft. They need to be just soft to touch.
Assembling the Cake
Once your cinnamon cake layers are cooled, it’s time to put together this incredible cinnamon roll cake! The first step is to level off the tops. I recommend doing this to expose the little air pockets inside.
- Spread half of the prepared dulce de leche filling onto the first cake layer and spread it evenly to the edges using an off-set spatula. Check out my video recipe above to see how it’s done!
- Next, add the frosting! Gently spread the frosting over the caramel to prevent it from sliding off. Top with the second cake layer and add the remaining caramel to the second layer, followed by more frosting.
- Frost the outside of the cake with a crumb coat of frosting first, then chill the cake and add the final layer. Check out the tools I use down below with my other product recommendations!
- Garnish the top of the cake with dollops of frosting, a sprinkle of cinnamon and a drizzle of caramel sauce!
Enjoyed this amazing cinnamon roll cake recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Maple Pecan Cake with Maple French Buttercream – this delicious cake is made without any added sugars, just pure maple syrup, even for the frosting!
- Caramel Pecan Pumpkin Cake – the most delicious pumpkin cake with caramel pecan filling and salted caramel buttercream!
- Chocolate Turtle Cake – another incredible caramel pecan filled cake, this one with chocolate cake layers and chocolate buttercream!
- Pineapple Carrot Cake – my favorite carrot cake is made with crushed pineapple, carrots, pecans and cream cheese frosting!
- Caramel Banana Banoffee Cake – this epic banana cake is filled with dulce de leche and frosted with cream cheese frosting. So delicious!
Share it on Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
- Ateco Turn-table: this turn-table is a must for all cake decorators! It makes cake decorating a breeze!
- Cake Spatulas: to get a beautiful finish for any cake, use these spatulas! Also, I love this cake scraper!
- Hand-held KitchenAid Mixer: some jobs don’t require a large stand mixer! This handy, small mixer is great for making cake batter!
- Decorating Tips: this set of decorating tips has all my favorites for decorating any cake or dessert!