Fall is all about pumpkin and pumpkin spice everything! And this cheesecake pumpkin swiss roll cake will excite your taste buds! This cake roll is made with a aromatic pumpkin sponge cake and filled with a creamy, cream cheese frosting that tastes like cheesecake. I love to add a sprinkle of cinnamon and drizzle of caramel sauce to the top for extra sweetness. For more pumpkin flavor, try adding pure pumpkin puree directly into the cheesecake filling. This pumpkin cake recipe is bound to become a fall-favorite!
Watch My Pumpkin Cake Video Tutorial!
Watch my YouTube video for step-by-step instructions and all the details for making this swiss roll cake. Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Ingredients for Pumpkin Cake
Here are the main ingredients you’ll need for this cheesecake pumpkin swiss roll cake:
- Eggs: use room temperature eggs for making the pumpkin sponge cake.
- Pumpkin Puree: using canned pumpkin puree is best and easiest choice for this recipe.
- Cinnamon & Nutmeg: I like adding these spices to the sponge cake for that pumpkin spice flavor!
- Cream cheese: soften the cream cheese at room temperature before making the cheesecake filling.
- Heavy Cream: use well chilled cream for making the filling.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: for the cheesecake filling.
Easy Pumpkin Sponge Cake
Making a swiss roll cake can look intimidating, but it doesn’t have to be! This recipe is made with an easy pumpkin sponge cake recipe. I used my classic ‘Vanilla Sponge Cake’ recipe and added pumpkin puree and pumpkin spices right into the cake batter.
- When making this sponge cake, make sure to whisk the eggs until they’re light and fluffy. Also, fold in the flour and the pumpkin very gently but thoroughly, keeping the batter fluffy.
- The trick to rolling your sponge cake perfectly is doing it as soon as you take it out of the oven. Just sprinkle a clean kitchen or tea towel with confectioner’s sugar, then invert the hot sponge cake, then roll right up.
- Allow the cake to cool completely, then unroll it, fill it and roll it back up the same way. And voila, you have a perfect roulade!
Making the Cheesecake Filling
Once the pumpkin sponge cake is completely cooled, it’s time to prepare the creamy cream cheese filling! It’s made with cream cheese, sour cream, heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk!
- First, beat together the cheese and butter until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Next, add in the heavy cream and condensed milk and whisk until fluffy peaks form. I love to use this filling as a frosting, too! You can check out my in-depth tutorial for this recipe here: ‘Whipped Cream Frosting’.
How to Make a Pumpkin Swiss Roll Cake
Here’s how to put together this delicious pumpkin cake:
- Prepare the pumpkin sponge cake, roll it and allow the cake to cool completely.
- Prepare a batch of my cheesecake filling. Place the filling into the refrigerator if you’re not using it right away, or if you want it to be thicker and easier to use.
Unroll cooled cake and remove parchment paper. Spread most of the filling over the cake, reserving some for frosting the outside. Spread the filling evenly to the edges, then gently roll the cake back up the same way. Transfer onto a platter and frost the top and sides.
Refrigerate the cake 4 to 6 hours or overnight, allowing the filling to set. This will also make the cake more moist. Garnish top with cinnamon and caramel sauce before serving.
- Check out my ‘Homemade Caramel Sauce’ if you want a homemade caramel!
Enjoyed this delicious pumpkin recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Caramel Pecan Pumpkin Cake – the best ever pumpkin cake with caramel frosting, caramel sauce and crunchy pecans!
- Pumpkin Caramel Cheesecake – layered cheesecake with pumpkin and caramel flavors!
- No-Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake – this light and fluffy no-bake cheesecake is so delicious, with pumpkin spice and caramel!
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls – the best fall cinnamon rolls with double pumpkin, cinnamon sugar and cream cheese icing!
- Maple Bourbon Pumpkin Pie – you’ll love this amazing pumpkin pie recipe with a hint of maple syrup and bourbon!
Share it on Pinterest!
Cheesecake Pumpkin Swiss Roll Cake (video)
For Pumpkin Cake:
- 6 large egggs
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 12 ounces whipped cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce, optional garnish
For Pumpkin Sponge Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F/177C. Line a 12x17-inch (30x43-cm) jelly roll pan with parchment paper and spray sides with baking spray; set aside.
- Prepare the pumpkin cake. Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla into a mixer bowl. Whisk on high speed until egg mixture is voluminous and white in color. Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Sift the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, folding gently but thoroughly after each addition. Fold in the pumpkin puree last.
- Spread the cake batter evenly to the edges of prepared baking pan. Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, or until top is golden and set. Immediately after removing cake from oven, sprinkle the top lightly with confectioner's sugar. Place a clean kitchen towel over the top, invert the pan, and keep the parchment paper attached. Gently roll the cake along with the towel into a log; set aside to cool completely.
For Cheesecake Filling:
- Prepare the cream cheese filling. First, whisk together the softened cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Next, add in the remaining ingredients: cold heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla and salt. Whisk on medium speed until a fluffy frosting forms; mix carefully and do not over mix!
Assembling the Swiss Roll Cake:
- Unroll cooled cake and remove parchment paper. Spread most of the filling over the cake, reserving some for frosting the outside. Spread the filling evenly to the edges, then gently roll the cake back up the same way. Transfer onto a platter and frost the top and sides.
- Refrigerate the cake 4 to 6 hours or overnight, allowing the filling to set. Garnish top with cinnamon and caramel sauce before serving.