Do you love all things pumpkin during the fall season? Then this silky smooth and creamy caramel pumpkin cheesecake is for you! It’s a double layered cheesecake with a caramel layer, a pumpkin layer and spiced whipped cream on top! I love the combination of caramel and pumpkin – the flavors complement each other so well! And the easy-t0-make spiced whipped cream just makes this cheesecake even better! I like to add the chocolate swirls on top to make this cake even more festive – just watch my video to see how its down. If you’re planning your Thanksgiving menu, make sure to include this cake!
Watch My Cheesecake Video Tutorial!
Watch my YouTube video recipe for step-by-step instructions and see put together this cheesecake! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Ingredients for Cheesecake Recipe
Here are the main ingredients you’ll need for this caramel pumpkin cheesecake recipe:
- Cream cheese: soften the cream cheese at room temperature for about 1 hour prior to using it. This will make it easier to beat the cheese.
- Pumpkin puree: canned pumpkin puree is the easiest and best choice for this recipe.
- Dulce de leche: this thick caramel is actually cooked, sweetened condensed milk. It’s extra rich and creamy!
- Graham crackers: for making the classic graham cracker crust.
- Cinnamon & nutmeg: I love adding these spices to the cheesecake for that pumpkin spice flavor.
- Sour Cream
- Maple syrup extract: this extra is the best way to add maple flavor to any recipe without having to adjust it!
- Heavy Cream: for making the whipped cream, which is great for serving the cheesecake.
How to Make Caramel Pumpkin Cheesecake
You’ll love how the caramel and pumpkin come together in this fall cheesecake recipe!
- For this recipe, I start with a basic cheesecake base made with cream cheese, sour cream, eggs, sugar and vanilla. Once you have this plain base ready, it’s time to add the flavors! First split the batter in half between two bowls.
- Caramel Cheesecake: for the caramel layer, you’ll need to add either dulce de leche or my recipe for ‘Homemade Caramel Sauce’. This easy recipe is my go-to whenever I need caramel and it’s going to be perfect for drizzling over the cheesecake, too! Dulce de leche is a caramel made from sweetened condensed milk. It’s a thicker caramel sauce that’s also great for this recipe.
- Pumpkin Cheesecake: this layer has all the delicious flavors of a classic pumpkin cheesecake! Made with pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg and even a bit of maple syrup extract for even more flavor! You can find maple syrup extract online (affiliate link). My favorite extract for fall!
- Pour the prepared pumpkin cheesecake batter over the graham cracker crust first, then gently spoon the caramel cheesecake batter over the top. If desired, add small drops of chocolate on top and swirl them using a toothpick.
- Bake the cheesecake using the water bath method for about 2 hours. Slowly cool the cheesecake at room temperature, then refrigerate it until it’s completely set.
- Serve the cheesecake with some vanilla cinnamon whipped cream on top!
Water Bath Baking Method
To get the prettiest and most perfect cheesecake, I recommend using a water bath for this recipe. I use this method for all my cheesecakes and it always works without fail! This caramel pumpkin cheesecake comes out so pretty using this method.
- First, I wrap the bottom of my spring form pan twice with extra wide foil, just to make sure no water seeps in! Extra wide foil is perfect because it’s wide enough to cover the bottom completely without any seams. Do this step before starting on the crust.
- Place the cheesecake onto a baking sheet or pan and fill the pan with about an inch of water.
- The extra moisture in the oven from the water will keep the cheesecake level and help prevent any cracks from forming on the top. If all the water evaporates during the baking process, add more to the baking sheet.
How to Serve Pumpkin Cheesecake
This pumpkin caramel cheesecake will steal the show at your next holiday dinner party! To garnish the cheesecake, I like to add dollops of spiced whipped cream, made with cream, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. It’s the perfect complement to the rich and delicious cake! Drizzle each slice of cheesecake with extra caramel sauce and don’t forget to serve with extra whipped cream on the side!
Enjoyed this fall cheesecake recipe? Check out some of my other recipes that you’re sure to love!
- Maple Bourbon Pumpkin Pie – you’ll love this amazing pumpkin pie recipe with a hint of maple syrup and bourbon!
- No-Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake – super light and fluffy cheesecake with pumpkin and spices!
- Caramel Pecan Pumpkin Cake – the best pumpkin cake with caramel frosting!
- Pumpkin Maple Eclairs – filled with the fluffiest pumpkin whipped cream filling!
- Chocolate Pecan Pumpkin Cupcakes – tasty pumpkin cupcakes with spiced whipped cream!
Share it on Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
- I love this tall spring form pan for cakes and cheesecakes.
- These handy off-set spatulas are great for spreading cake batter and frosting.
- My classic CuisinArt food processor is the best – simple and powerful.
- And my classic KitchenAid stand mixer is a must for every kitchen.
- This set of jumbo cake decorating tips includes all my favorite tips.
Caramel Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipe (video)
- 10 graham crackers, about 1 1/2 cups cookie crumbs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 32 ounce cream cheese, softened at room temp
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup extract
- 14 ounce can dulce de leche; about 1 cup caramel sauce
For Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- sprinkle of ground cinnamon
- Prepare a 9-inch spring form by double-wrapping the bottom with foil. Preheat oven to 315F.
- Prepare the graham cracker crust first. Place cookies into a food processor and pulse until broken down into fine crumbs. Pour in melted butter and pulse again until cookie crumbs are coated. Transfer cookie crumbs into prepared spring form pan and press firmly into the bottom of the pan to form a firm crust; set aside.
- Prepare the cheesecake filling. Place softened cream cheese into mixer bowl and beat on medium-high speed for about 5 minutes until creamy and no clumps remain. Scrap down sides of bowl often to get all the cheese mixed together. Next, add the sour cream, sugar and vanilla. Mix again for a few minutes. Then add the 4 egg and mix again.
- Divide the batter evenly between two bowls. Into one bowl, add the pumpkin puree, spices and maple syrup extract. Fold in the ingredients gently until creamy and smooth. Into the second bowl, add the dulce de leche, or a similar caramel. Use a whisk to mix the caramel and cheesecake filling together.
- Pour the caramel filling over the crust first. Gently spoon the pumpkin filling over the top to create 2 distinct layers.
- Transfer the cheesecake into a deep oven-roasting pan or baking dish. Fill the pan with water – this is easier once the pan is on the oven rack. Bake the cheesecake for about 2 hours, or until the edges are completely set. Turn oven off, crack open oven door and allow the cheesecake to sit for about 30 minutes. Then remove the cheesecake from the oven and cool at room temperature for a few hours before refrigerating overnight.
- Prepare the whipped cream before serving. Combine chilled heavy cream, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon and whisk together until stiff peaks form. Transfer into a pastry bag for garnishing the cheesecake.