If you love all things fall and pumpkin, you are going to love this pumpkin cinnamon rolls recipe! These pumpkin rolls are so fluffy, so delicious and aromatic and perfect for fall! They’re made with a soft and spicy pumpkin yeast dough, filled with cinnamon sugar and more pumpkin puree, and a cream cheese icing. Plus, I have secret ingredient to make these super soft! Want to make these ahead of time? Scroll down for make-ahead instructions! Check out my original Cinnamon Roll Recipe for more inspiration!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions for this easy fall recipe! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Pumpkin Yeast Dough
These incredible pumpkin cinnamon rolls start with a soft cinnamon pumpkin yeast dough! This dough is made by adding pumpkin puree directly into the batter. When making any yeast dough, it’s important to use liquids at the right temperature. Heat the whole milk until it’s lukewarm, or about 115F/46C. If the milk is too hot, it will kill the yeast bacteria and the dough will not rise.
Mix together the milk, yeast, sugar, salt, eggs and pumpkin puree in a large mixing bowl and whisk until the mixture is uniform. Next, begin adding the flour. I recommend adding the flour gradually, about ½ cup to 1 cup at a time. Begin with a whisk and work your way up to a spatula, until the dough is ready to be kneaded. Knead the dough for about 4 to 5 minutes, then it’s ready to proof. Place the dough into a mixing bowl, cover the bowl with a towel and let the dough proof in a warm corner of the kitchen for about 1 to 1 ½ hours. The pumpkin yeast dough needs to double in size.
The Pumpkin Cinnamon Filling
These pumpkin cinnamon rolls have the best filling! Once the dough is proofed, roll it out on a lightly floured work surface into a large rectangle, about 16×19-inches (40×48-cm) in size. First for the filling, spread softened butter over the surface. Follow with the cinnamon sugar mixture, then add the pumpkin puree. I recommend dropping the puree in small dollops, then spreading it gently over the cinnamon sugar.
This filling so aromatic and delicious! The perfect filling for these fall pumpkin rolls! Roll the dough into a log, then cut it into 12 equal pieces. Place the rolls into a casserole pan and allow them to proof for 30 minutes.
I use a very unique baking method and secret ingredient for all my cinnamon roll recipes, including this one! First, I bake the proofed rolls for 10 minutes at 350F/177C. At the 10 minute baking mark, I remove them from the oven and pour about ½ cup of cream or whole milk over the rolls. The cream makes the rolls super soft and delicate and prevents the pumpkin cinnamon rolls from drying out.
Return the pumpkin rolls back into the oven and bake them for another 22 to 25 minutes, until they’re golden brown on top.
Cream Cheese Icing
While your cinnamon rolls are baking, you can prepare the delicious and creamy cinnamon cream cheese icing! It’s super easy to make! Just cream one brick of softened cream cheese in a small mixing bowl first. Then, add the confectioner’s sugar, vanilla and cinnamon and whisk again for a minute. That’s it!
When the cinnamon rolls are done, remove them from the oven and cool for a few minutes. Spread the cream cheese icing over the rolls before they cool, allowing the cream cheese to soften even more! Enjoy the rolls while they’re warm.
Make Ahead Instructions
This fall recipe can be prepared ahead of time, then baked when ready to enjoy!
- Simply follow the instructions, making the yeast dough, filling and shaping the rolls. Cut the rolls to size and place into a large casserole pan.
- Allow the rolls to proof at room temperature for just 15 minutes instead of 30, then cover the pan with plastic wrap and place the rolls into the refrigerator. They can be made even a few days ahead of time.
- When ready to bake, remove the rolls from the fridge and let them stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes. Continue with the original recipe, baking at 350F and adding the cream at the 10 minute baking mark.
Enjoyed my pumpkin cinnamon rolls recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Classic Cinnamon Rolls – my original recipe has hundreds of 5 star, raving reviews! These really are the best!
- Apple Pie Cinnamon Rolls – another great fall recipe! These rolls are filled with apple pie filling!
- Pumpkin Spice Donuts – the best pumpkin donuts recipe! Dipped in cinnamon sugar and prepared 2 ways: classic or filled with pumpkin whipped cream!
- Cheesecake Pumpkin Cake Roll – delicate pumpkin sponge cake filled with a cheesecake-style filling and caramel!
- Cinnamon Roll Cake – epic cinnamon cake inspired by my favorite breakfast! With cinnamon cake layers, dulce de leche and cream cheese frosting!
Share it on Pinterest!