Not a fan of traditional buttercream? This whipped cream frosting recipe is for you! It’s made with butter, cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk! This incredible frosting recipe is perfect for cakes, cheesecakes and even as a filling for pastries. It’s easy to make and so delicious!
This recipe is part of my ‘Back to Cake Basics’ series, where I share simple cake, frosting and filling recipes. Make sure to check out the entire collection!
Watch My Video!
Make sure to watch my video for the step-by-step instructions! Love my videos? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel and you’ll receive new recipe notifications!
Tips for Making Whipped Cream Frosting
I LOVE to use this whipped cream frosting recipe for many of my cakes and for a good reason. It’s not too sweet, it has great consistency and it adds moisture to any cake. This frosting doesn’t hold its shape as well as a buttercream would so it’s not ideal for piping decorations. It’s super easy to make but make sure to follow the instructions to get the best consistency!
- Always use very cold cream! Cold cream will hold stiff peaks better!
- Be careful not to over-mix the cream, otherwise it will separate.
- Once you add everything to the whipped cream, mix for about 30 seconds to one minute, just until stiff peaks.
- For this recipe, I use cream cheese. If you’re not a fan of cream cheese, just use mascarpone as a replacement!
Try it with these recipes!
I come back to this recipe time and time again, using it for my ‘Chocolate Spartak’, ‘Pistachio Pomegranate Cake’, ‘Chocolate Raspberry Cake Roll’, ‘Tiramisu Crepe Cake’ and many others. You’ll also see this recipe in my cake cookbook, The European Cake Cookbook.
More Frosting Recipes!
Looking for a stabilized whipped cream recipe? Check out my other frosting recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Stabilized Whipped Cream – cream frosting stabilized with gelatin to hold its shape better!
- Berry Whipped Cream – the fluffiest and most delicious berry frosting with real berry sauce!
- German Buttercream – this creamy frosting is made with vanilla pastry cream and softened butter!
- Cream Cheese Frosting – 5-ingredient, super easy and delicious recipe!
Enjoyed this recipe? Save it to Pinterest for later!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
How to Make Whipped Cream Frosting (video)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 12 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, min. 35% fat content
- Softened butter and cream cheese at room temperature until soft to touch but not melted. I prefer to use whipped cream cheese but an 8 oz brick of regular cream cheese will also work. Place butter and cheese into mixing bowl and whisk on high speed for 3 to 4 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract, pinch of salt (about 1/8 tsp), and sweetened condensed milk. Whisk again for a few minutes until well combined, stopping to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Last, pour in the heavy cream. Make sure heavy cream is ice cold; I like to place mine into the freezer for 15 minutes. Whisk the heavy cream into the frosting JUST until light and fluffy. Do not over mix! Over mixing will cause the frosting to separate. I recommend mixing on medium speed to avoid separating the mixture.
- If not frosting cake right away, place frosting into the refrigerator for 30 minutes. This will thicken the frosting further, making it easier to work with. Do not keep at room temperature for too long.