If you love banana bread, you’re going to be head-over-heels in love with my Banoffee cake recipe! This incredible caramel banana cake is what dreams are made of! It’s made with delicate vanilla pecan cake layers and filled with dulce de leche and fresh bananas. I use my easy 5-Ingredient Cream Cheese Frosting to frost the cake and my Caramel Sauce for garnishing the top! This elevated banana cake is everything you ever dreamed of! You can also find this cake in my first cookbook, The European Cake Cookbook!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions and watch me assemble the cake. Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
All About Banoffee!
If you’ve never heard of or tried Banoffee cake or pie, you’re missing out! This delicious banana pie recipe was first made in the United Kingdom and it’s a very popular English dessert. Traditional Banoffee pie is made with bananas, toffee and cream layered over a biscuit crust. You can even find some versions with chocolate! My Banoffee pie inspired cake has all the best flavors of the original pie recipe, in cake form!
Vanilla Pecan Cake
This incredible caramel banana cake starts with delicate and delicious vanilla pecan cake layers! I use a simple, buttermilk vanilla cake batter recipe and fold in the chopped pecans. The cake layers are very moist and dotted with crunchy nuts! You can also try adding toffee bits to the batter for even more flavor! Can’t find buttermilk in a store near you! You can make your own by using 1 cup whole milk and 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar. Just add the juice to the milk, whisk and let it stand for a few minutes, turning sour.
Allow the cake layers to cool completely, then use a serrated knife to level off the tops. This recipe yields fairly flat layers but you want the inside of the cake to be exposed. This will allow the caramel to seep into all the nooks and air pockets in the cake layers, adding more flavor!
Cream Cheese Frosting
For frosting this incredible Banoffee cake, I’m using one of ‘Back to Cake Basics’ recipes – my 5-Ingredient Cream Cheese Frosting. This frosting is so creamy, fluffy and smooth – perfect for this banana cake recipe! I have a separate video recipe for the frosting, so make sure to check it out!
The trick to making great frosting is whipping the butter and cream cheese properly. I usually whisk my softened butter on high speed for 7 to 8 minutes, until the butter is fluffy and almost white in color. Then I add in the cream cheese and mix again for a few minutes. Add the confectioner’s sugar last and mix again for a few minutes. If your frosting is too soft, place it into the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to an hour. You can even make the frosting the day before and refrigerate it overnight. When you’re ready to use the frosting, let it stand at room temperature for a few hours, then mix with a spatula.
A traditional Banoffee pie uses dulce de leche for the caramel flavor. For my caramel banana cake, I used my homemade Caramel Sauce recipe instead. I recommend making the caramel sauce the day before making the cake, or at least a few hours ahead. It needs a few hours to cool completely. If you don’t have time or don’t wish to make your own sauce, just grab a can of dulce de leche and use that instead. It will be perfect for this cake, too! I have a separate video recipe for the caramel sauce so make sure to check that out!
To thicken the homemade sauce, I place it into the refrigerator until it’s nicely chilled. Once the cake layers are cooled, gently spread a generous amount of the caramel onto each cake layer. I also like to add a caramel drip to garnish the cake. To do this, I microwave the sauce for about 30 seconds, until it’s more runny and easier to pour. Gently spoon the caramel over the edges to garnish the cake.
Enjoyed this incredible cake recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Easy Banana Cream Cake Roll – all the banana flavor in this easy cake roll filled with more bananas and cream cheese frosting!
- Best Banana Nut Bars – seriously delicious banana nut bread bars with an easy cream cheese icing!
- Caramel Pecan Pumpkin Cake – one of my fall favorites! This flavor-packed cake is made with a salted caramel buttercream!
- Maple Pecan Cake with Maple French Buttercream – this delicious cake is made without any added sugars, just pure maple syrup, even for the frosting!
- Cinnamon Roll Cake – epic cinnamon cake inspired by my favorite breakfast! With cinnamon cake layers, dulce de leche and cream cheese frosting!
Share it on Pinterest!
Supplies & Tools
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
- Ateco Turntable – this classic turntable is a must for any avid cake baker! I use this one all the time!
- Icing Comb – use this fun and decorative cake scraper to create a unique finish on any cake!
- Cake Spatulas – I highly recommend using these flat spatulas for frosting any cake!
- Handheld Mixer – not every baking job requires a stand mixer! This handy, hand-held mixer is great for smaller jobs!