Simply the best simple and delicious banana nut bars recipe with creamy cream cheese frosting! These bars are so fluffy, moist and flavorful; dotted with crunchy pecans and topped with a simple cream cheese frosting. I also like to add a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg to the recipe for warmth and flavor. Once you try this banana nut bread recipe, you’ll want it all the time!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for the instructions and details!Want new recipe updates? Subscribe to my YouTube channel to get a notification each time a new recipe goes live!
Best Family Recipe!
I can’t believe I still haven’t shared my family recipe for banana nut bread on my blog! This recipe has been in our family for over 15 years and for a good reason. I remember baking this bread when I was much younger and just starting out in the kitchen. The aroma of this bread is simply amazing. For these banana nut bars, I wanted to take my family recipe and bring it up a notch!
The Cream Cheese Frosting
No banana nut bar recipe is complete without a good cream cheese frosting on top, in my opinion! Check out my in-depth video tutorial for making the perfect ‘5-Ingredient Cream Cheese Frosting’!
All the Toppings
For added crunchiness, you can also add my simple brown sugar pecan crumble topping. It’s super easy to make and just makes these bars that much better! And, try adding a drizzle of caramel sauce over the bars when you’re ready to enjoy them. Use my easy home-made caramel sauce for the best tasting results!
You won’t believe how fluffy and light these banana nut bars are!
Enjoyed this easy banana recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Caramel Banana Banoffee Cake – the most delicious banana cake recipe with pecan cake layers, caramel sauce and cream cheese frosting!
- Banana Cream Cake – this banana filled cake roll is frosted with cream cheese frosting!
- Apricot Zucchini Bread – you’ll love this zucchini loaf for summer time! With dried apricots and crunchy almonds!
- Pineapple Carrot Cake – fruity, nutty, spicy and so delicious! Made with crushed pineapple for even more flavor!
Save it to Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
- This non-stick brownie pan is great for this recipe.
- I love my handheld KitchenAid mixer – it’s great when I don’t want to use my big mixer.
- These off-set spatulas are so useful for spreading batter and frosting!
The Best Banana Nut Bars (video)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup mashed bananas, about 2 large
- 1/2 cup finely diced pecans
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp maple extract, or vanilla
- pinch of salt
For Topping: (optional)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/3 cup diced pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350F/177C. Line the bottom and sides of a brownie pan; mine is about 13x7-inches (33x17-cm) in size.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the softened butter, sugar and vanilla for 2 to 3 minutes, until the mixture is creamy. Add the eggs and mix again for 1 minute. Peel the bananas and crush them using a large fork or food processor. Add the banana puree to the batter and fold it in.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Sift the dry ingredients into the batter and fold gently just until the flour is incorporated, then fold in the pecans. Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly to the edges using an off-set spatula.
- Bake the banana nut bars for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the bread from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once the bread is cooled, prepare the cream cheese frosting. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the cream cheese for a few minutes, until it's creamy and smooth. Add the maple or vanilla extract, confectioner's sugar and a pinch of salt. Mix again for a few minutes until the frosting is smooth and creamy. To make the frosting thinner, just add a few tablespoons of heavy cream.
- Spread the cream cheese frosting over the banana nut bread with an off-set spatula. For the optional topping, simply combine the melted butter, sugar, nuts and spices in a small bowl, then sprinkle over the frosting.