The most delicious and aromatic Italian chicken pasta recipe! My creamy chicken and prosciutto pasta is made with a creamy white wine sauce, bits of salty prosciutto, sweet peas, parmesan cheese and the best chicken! The chicken is marinated in white wine and herbs – so juicy and delicious! Top the dish with more prosciutto for the best flavor! This chicken pasta recipe is inspired by one of my favorite cafes in San Francisco: “Roxanne Cafe” at Union Square. It’s a simple, no-fuss corner restaurant that always has delicious pasta!
Preparing the Juicy Chicken
This prosciutto pasta is topped with simple and delicious, juicy chicken breast! Chicken breast can be dry and flavorless but not with this recipe! I marinate the chicken in olive oil and white wine, plus garlic and dried Italian herbs. The rest – juicy and aromatic chicken that’s easy to make! Fry the chicken on both sides, then finish cooking in the remaining marinade. The marinade will cook down as it simmers away and serve as an additional sauce for the chicken!
How to Make Creamy Prosciutto Sauce
You’ll love the creamy sauce I use for this creamy chicken pasta!
- It starts off with onion, garlic, Italian herbs and white wine! Allow the white wine to cook down to get the most flavor without any strong alcohol flavor.
- Next, add in the flour. I always prefer to make my cream sauces with a roux – equal parts butter and flour. The roux helps thicken the sauce without having to use heavy cream. Gradually add in the milk and chicken broth.
- Once you have the base sauce ready, it’s time to add the fillings! I add bits of salty prosciutto, grated parmesan cheese, sweet peas and green onions. Save some of the chopped prosciutto for the top and have some extra parmesan cheese, too!
Enjoyed this easy, creamy chicken pasta recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
- Creamy Prosciutto Pasta – another version of this delicious dish with asparagus!
- Creamy Chicken Mushroom Pasta – juicy chicken breast with a creamy mushroom sauce! So easy and delicious!
- Spinach Dip Chicken Pasta – artichoke spinach dip meets chicken in this delicious pasta dish!
- Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Noodles – a new take on chicken pot pie in the form of easy noodles!
Share it on Pinterest!
Creamy Chicken & Prosciutto Pasta Recipe
- 4 large chicken breasts
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 to 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp EACH: dried basil, dried oregano, dried thyme
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- cooking oil, for frying chicken
For Creamy Sauce:
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tsp EACH: salt, black pepper, dried basil, dried oregano, dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, Drained if in oil
- 12 slices prosciutto, sliced
- 1 cup fresh green peas
- 4 green scallions, diced
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound campanelle or penne pasta
- First, marinate the chicken. Place the chicken breast into a large bowl, drizzle with olive oil and season generously with salt and black pepper. Add in the dried herbs, white wine and minced garlic. Make sure the chicken is coated well and place it into the refrigerator to marinate for at least 1 hour. For best results, let the chicken marinate overnight.
- Next, prepare the creamy sauce. In a large saute pan, melt the butter, then add the diced onion. Saute the onion for 3 to 4 minutes over medium heat until it's soft and translucent. Next, add in the garlic, salt, pepper and dried herbs and cook for 1 minute. Add in the wine next and let it simmer for a few minutes, until most of the liquid is evaporated. Add in the flour and toss to coat the onions.
- Begin adding the milk. Add approximately 1/2 cup at a time, whisking well after each addition. Once all the milk has been added, pour in the chicken broth. Add to the pan the fresh peas, sun-dried tomatoes, half of the chopped prosciutto and the parmesan cheese. Let this sauce simmer over medium-low heat for 5 to 7 minutes, or until nicely thickened. Remove the sauce from heat and set aside until ready to use.
- While preparing the sauce, also prepare the pasta. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package instructions until al dente. Drain the pasta and keep warm. Once you have the pasta sauce prepared, add the pasta into the sauce and toss to coat evenly.
- To prepare the chicken: preheat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and add a drizzle of cooking oil. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place into the hot pan. Fry over medium heat on both sides for 6 to 7 minutes, until the chicken is golden brown. Add the remaining marinade into the pan, close the pan with a tight fitting lid and let the chicken finish cooking, about 5 to 8 minutes, depending on the thickness of the chicken breast. Internal temperature needs to be 165F.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and let it rest for 5 minutes, then take a sharp knife and thinly slice the chicken breast for serving.
- For serving: plate the pasta first, then top with chopped prosciutto bits, more grated parmesan cheese and the sliced chicken breast.