This is the one and only bacon garlic potatoes recipe you’ll need! These loaded potatoes are topped with a ton of bacon bits, garlic butter and fresh herbs! I love the addition of dill herb as a topping – it adds incredible flavor. The aroma from this dish is mouth watering! It’s the perfect side dish that goes with everything – your favorite BBQ recipe, grilled meats and even steak! You’ll enjoy these potatoes year-round, even for the holidays!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for all the details and step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Loaded Bacon Garlic Potatoes
Making this delicious side dish is so easy! Start by preparing the potatoes. Peel the potatoes and drop them into a pot of salted water, then cook until fork tender. You can also prepare this dish with baby potatoes instead of chopped whole potatoes. Prepare them the same way and proceed with the recipe. While the potatoes are cooking away, prepare the bacon and the rest of the toppings. Render the bacon until crispy, then chop into small bits. Chop the fresh herbs and green onion, too.
Keep the bacon fat in the pan to prepare the garlic butter topping. Add butter to the fat, along with garlic and let the butter melt, cooking the garlic just slightly. Once the potatoes are done, assemble the dish! Coat the potatoes in the prepared garlic butte, top with the bacon bits, herbs, green onion and cheese! I recommend adding the cheese on top when the potatoes are still pipping hot so it gets a chance to melt.
A Family Recipe!
A HUGE thank you to my mom and sisters for sharing this incredible recipe with me! They shared this recipe with me on my recent trip to WA and I fell in love with it immediately! We had these garlic potatoes with grilled chicken kabobs and simple tomato-cucumber salad. The combination of flavors was spot-on! I hope you enjoy this recipe with your family as much as I do!
These easy and garlicy potatoes are a great choice for just about any dinner meal! Enjoy them with grilled or roasted meats and steaks and don’t forget to add a delicious salad on the side, too! Here are a few recipes that I enjoy these potatoes with!
- Grilled Chicken Kabobs – you’ll love this easy recipe for chicken kabobs with a creamy marinade and lots of veggies!
- Grilled Ribeye Steak – my all-time favorite recipe for juicy and delicious ribeye steak, made with a side of chimichurri sauce!
- Grilled Garlic Lamb Chops – the juiciest and most delicious grilled lamb chops with herbs and garlic!
Looking for more side-dish recipes? Check out some of the other recipes on my website you’re sure to enjoy!
- Easy Mushroom Rice – so simple and delicious! Great with any type of meat or seafood.
- Butter & Thyme Sweet Potato Mash – creamy sweet potatoes with butter!
- Creamy Ratatouille – the ultimate veggie side dish!
- Creamy Butter Mashed Potatoes – these creamy and delicious mashed potatoes made with chicken broth are a must for the holidays!
- Oven-Roasted Potatoes – golden crispy potatoes with garlic, thyme, parsley and parmesan! These are perfect with any main entrée!
Enjoyed this recipe? Save it to Pinterest for later!
Loaded Bacon Garlic Potatoes Recipe (video)
- 8 large potatoes
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 10 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- 1/2 - 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, finely diced
- small bunch fresh dill, chopped
- Prepare the potatoes first. Peel and cut the potatoes into large chunks. Bring to a boil in a large pot of salted water and boil until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and transfer into a deep tray for serving.
- Meanwhile, prepare the toppings. In a large frying pan, render the bacon slices in batches. Remove from the pan onto a paper towel to cool. Retain all the rendered bacon fat in the pan and add the butter. Melt the butter over low heat, then add the minced garlic and fresh thyme. Cook the garlic over low heat until butter is aromatic. Transfer the garlic butter into a small bowl. Once it cools slightly, skim off any impurities that surface.
- Once bacon has cooled, chop into small bits. Chop the green onion and dill.
- Once potatoes are cooked and ready, assemble the dish. Season the potatoes with salt and black pepper. Spoon the garlic butter equally over the potatoes. Sprinkle on the cheddar cheese, bacon bits, green onion and fresh dill. Serve immediately, or keep covered and warm. This dish can be reheated/kept warm in the oven.