Easy, aromatic and delicious rice side dish recipe! My mushroom rice recipe is bound to become a favorite side for any of your favorite main entrees! It’s made with mushrooms and onion sauteed in butter, then cooked in broth and seasoned lightly with spices. Pair this aromatic rice with seafood, chicken, beef, lamb or even veggies! I also like to enjoy this recipe with my ‘Roasted Leg of Lamb’ or my ‘Oven-Roasted Buttermilk Chicken’.
Watch My Video
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions for making this delicious and aromatic side dish! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How to Make Mushroom Rice
I love this recipe because it’s so simple, easy to make and comes together in no time! The first step is preparing the mushrooms. I used baby portabella mushrooms in my video recipe but any type of mushroom will work well for this recipe. I really enjoy this rice with chanterelle mushrooms when they’re in season! Slice the mushrooms into small pieces and dice a small, sweet onion.
Next, saute the mushrooms and onion in a high-quality, salted butter until the mushrooms are browned. The butter adds so much incredible flavor! Simply combine this mixture with the rice, broth and season to taste. Both chicken and vegetable broth work well for this recipe. Cook the rice according to package instructions and you’re all set!
- *Cooking Tip: to save yourself from washing too many dishes at the end of the evening, saute the mushroom and onion mixture in a frying pan that you’re going to use for the main entree. For example, if you’re planning to make chicken to go with the rice, reuse the same pan for the chicken later!
Which Rice to Use
There are so many different options for rice and grains and this recipe will work with just about any of them! I used long-grain basmati rice in my video recipe but feel free to use any type of rice or even buckwheat! I have a buckwheat version of this dish in my new cookbook, Beyond Borscht!
Always cook the rice according to package instructions! Before starting the recipe, check the cooking time required for the specific rice type you are using. Also, double check for the amount of liquids. Some rice types require less or more liquids, or less or more cooking time!
Enjoy it with…
Here are some delicious main entrees you can enjoy this mushroom rice with!
- Teriyaki Chicken Stir-Fry – use this easy side dish recipe in place of the noodles called for in the original recipe.
- Lemon Herb Plank Salmon – this rice recipe is the perfect complement to this seafood dish!
- Grilled Chimichurri Chicken – chicken and rice is one of my favorite pairings!
- Creamy Mushroom Chicken – enjoy this chicken and sauce with rice instead of the pasta!
- Roasted Leg of Lamb – the juiciest lamb recipe will pair perfectly with this rice!
Share this recipe on Pinterest!