Chinese 5-spice is one of the most unique and delicious spice blends! It’s made with cinnamon, cloves, fennel, star anise, and Szechwan peppercorns. My 5-spice chicken recipe is so aromatic, juicy and flavorful! The chicken is seasoned with the spices and served with a simple soy glaze. Plus, this dish is so easy to make! Serve the juicy chicken with my ‘Easy Mushroom Rice’ recipe or over a bed of simple salad! You’ll love this unique and delicious chicken dish!
Watch My Chicken Video!
Watch my video recipe for all the details and step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Making 5-Spice Chicken
Making this chicken recipe is incredibly easy! First, pat the chicken breast dry with a paper towel. Then using your hands, rub the dry spices, along with the salt and pepper, directly into the meat. Make sure all the meat is well coated and seasoned. Fry the chicken in a hot pan for a few minutes per side, until the chicken is browned. Finish cooking the 5-spice chicken in the oven, along with cubed butter for extra moisture and some of the simple soy glaze!
The soy glaze also adds so much great flavor to this dish! It’s made with soy sauce, brown sugar or honey, water and sesame seed oil. Use half of the sauce for cooking the chicken and the second half for spooning over the chicken when you’re ready to enjoy the dish!
Rice or Salad Options
This Chinese chicken is really great with either rice or salad! You can enjoy it with plain, steamed white or brown rice. Or, enjoy it with my super easy and delicious ‘Mushroom Rice’ recipe! It’s an aromatic rice that perfectly complements this flavorful chicken recipe!
- If you prefer to enjoy it with salad, I recommend preparing a simple salad of spring greens, diced shallot, sliced cucumber and avocado, if desired. Don’t make the salad flavors too complicated, otherwise the flavors of the chicken will be lost.
Enjoyed this easy chicken recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Teriyaki Chicken Stir-Fry – the best stir-fry recipe, with loads of veggies and homemade teriyaki sauce!
- Oven-Roasted Buttermilk Chicken – marinated in buttermilk, this chicken is so juicy and flavorful!
- Avocado Chicken Egg Rolls – filled with juicy chicken, avocado and chimichurri sauce!
- Potato & Chicken Casserole – this EASY chicken dish is always a huge hit!
Share it on Pinterest!
Chinese 5-Spice Chicken Recipe (video)
- 2 to 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sesame seed oil
- sea salt and black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Chinese 5-Spice
- 1 recipe 'Mushroom Rice' linked above
- Prepare the mushroom rice according to instructions on my recipe page: https://tatyanaseverydayfood.com/recipe-items/easy-mushroom-rice/
- For the sauce or glaze: Combine the soy sauce, honey, water, and sesame seed oil in small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat and cook for approximately 5 to 10 minutes, until thickened.
- Preheat the oven to 375F and preheat an oven-proof sauté pan to medium/high heat and add a splash of oil.
- First, season the chicken breasts generously with Chinese 5-spice and salt. Simply rub the spices into the chicken meat with your hands. Place the chicken into the preheated pan and fry for 4 to 5 minutes until nicely browned. Turn over and cook the second side for a few minutes. Next, add in just HALF of the prepared sauce into the pan. Top each chicken breast with the cubed butter and dd about 1/3 cup water to pan.
- Transfer the pan into the preheated oven. Bake the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165F, about 15 to 25 minutes. Cooking time depends on the thickness of the chicken breast; larger pieces will take longer! While the chicken is cooking, turn and baste chicken with sauce every 5 to 7 minutes. If sauce becomes too thick, add more water.
- Remove the chicken from oven, and let the meat rest for 5 minutes before serving. Slice the chicken and then serve on top of the prepared rice or salad and spoon additional sauce on top.