Sharing my mom’s easy and delicious chicken rice pilaf recipe, or ‘chicken plov’ as it’s called in Ukraine! This aromatic Ukrainian recipe is made with chicken, onion, carrots and rice seasoned with just a touch of pepper and coriander. It’s an easy rice dish that you can have ready in no time! Try serving it with pickles and marinated tomatoes for a traditional meal. Traditional Uzbek plov is made with beef or lamb – find that recipe in my new cookbook, Beyond Borscht!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video for step-by-step instructions and watch me put together the dish! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How to Make Chicken Rice
You’ll love how easy this chicken recipe is to make! Start by choosing your chicken – both chicken breast and chicken thigh will work well for this recipe. Even bone in chicken thigh would work well. If using boneless chicken, cube it into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Brown the chicken all over, frying for about 6 to 8 minutes, just until browned all over. At this point the chicken doesn’t need to be cooked all the way; it will finish cooking with the rice. If using bone-in meat, cook it for a few minutes longer.
After removing the chicken, add some butter to the pan. I LOVE using butter because it adds so much flavor! Saute the onion and carrots until tender, then add the garlic, coriander and cumin. I like to lightly toast the spices so they release more aroma.
- Return the chicken to the pan, add rice, season with salt and pepper and add the chicken broth. Cover and cook the dish according to the rice package instructions. Garnish the rice with chopped parsley and enjoy with pickles, sour cream and/or marinated tomatoes. For reheating, refry the rice pilaf in a hot pan with a drizzle of oil!
Tips for Cooking Rice
This chicken rice pilaf can be made with a variety of rice types – I recommend using Basmati long-grain rice. It’s an aromatic, long-grain rice that cooks quickly and remains fluffy. You can also use brown rice or even buckwheat for this recipe. Whichever rice type you choose, follow the cooking instructions on the rice packaging. Some rice types require more or less liquids/broth and some may require longer or shorter cooking times.
Enjoyed this easy chicken recipe? Check out some of the other recipes I have on my website that you’re sure to love!
- Easy Mushroom Rice – delicious and aromatic side dish idea!
- Ukrainian Stewed Beef & Potatoes – one of my favorite recipes! So easy to make, too!
- Meat & Rice Stuffed Peppers – stuffed peppers prepared with tomato sauce.
- Chicken & Potato Casserole – this easy chicken casserole is always a hit!
Share this recipe on Pinterest!