Жаркое, aka ‘Stewed Beef and Potatoes’ – a delicious Ukrainian and Eastern European comfort food that I ate so often growing up! It’s made with fall-apart braised beef and potatoes in an aromatic tomato sauce with just a sprinkle of dill on top. Every time I make this beef recipe in my kitchen, it brings back warm and delicious memories of my parents making this at home. Even though my mom usually made lunch and dinner in our house, my dad was the one who always made this dish. I love to enjoy this dish with a side of Russian pickles, marinated tomatoes and sour cream.
Watch My Video!
Make sure to watch my video recipe for all the details! Want to receive new recipe updates? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Making Stewed Potatoes
This stewed beef recipe is prepared with the most delicious, most aromatic tomato sauce and seasoned with fresh dill. This dish is traditionally made with a cheaper cut of beef, so I use a meat like chuck roast or tri tip, which works very well for this dish. Once the beef is braised, it’s super soft and just falls apart when you bite into it. This beef and potato dish is simply the best! You’ll definitely be coming back for seconds!
- When making this dish, make sure to brown the meat well all over – it adds so much great flavor to this dish!
Slow Cooker Instructions
I’ve had so many of you ask if this dish can be made in a slow cooker and yes, it can be! Follow the recipe instructions as you would for the usual recipe, sauteing the meat. Place everything in to a slow cooker and use just half of the beef broth required. Cook on high heat for 6 to 8 hours, the more the better!
Looking for more hearty and warming recipes? Check out some of these recipes on my website you’re sure to enjoy!
- Ukrainian Braised Pork – the best braised pork shoulder in a tomato mushroom gravy, with mashed potatoes!
- Braised Beef Short Ribs – the best recipe for fall-off-the-bone, extra tender short ribs in a red wine tomato sauce!
- ‘Stuffed Peppers’ – the most delicious stuffed peppers with rice and beef!
- ‘Meat & Cheese Blini’ – savory crepes stuffed with ground beef and cheese!
- The BEST Beef Stew – seriously amazing slow-braised beef stew with veggies!
Enjoyed this recipe?Save and share it to Pinterest for later!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
I love my Epicurean cutting boards – easy to use and to clean because they’re dishwasher safe!
My classic Wusthof Ikon knives are my best kitchen investment! This santoku knife is my favorite!
And this cast-iron braiser is similar to the one I have – great for so many recipes!