Easy, aromatic and delicious rice side dish recipe! My mushroom rice recipe is bound to become a favorite side for any of your favorite main entrees! It’s made with mushrooms and onion sauteed in butter, then cooked in broth and seasoned lightly with spices. Pair this aromatic rice with seafood, chicken, beef, lamb or even veggies! I also like to enjoy this recipe with my ‘Roasted Leg of Lamb’ or my ‘Oven-Roasted Buttermilk Chicken’.
Watch My Rice Video Tutorial
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions for making this delicious and aromatic side dish! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Ingredients for Rice Recipe
Here are the main ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Rice (see more notes next!)
- Mushrooms: you can use almost any type of mushroom for this recipe: portabella, classic white, chanterelle, shiitake, morel, etc.!
- Butter: I love to use salted butter for this recipe. I adds lots of flavor.
- Broth: you can use chicken, veggie or mushroom broth. I recommend using a broth in place of water for a more flavorful rice
What Type of Rice to Use
There are so many different options for rice and grains and this recipe will work with just about any of them! I used long-grain basmati rice in my video recipe but feel free to use any type of rice or even buckwheat! I have a buckwheat version of this dish in my new cookbook, Beyond Borscht!
Always cook the rice according to package instructions! Before starting the recipe, check the cooking time required for the specific rice type you are using. Also, double check for the amount of liquids. Some rice types require less or more liquids, or less or more cooking time!
How to Make Mushroom Rice
I love this recipe because it’s so simple, easy to make and comes together in no time!
- The first step is preparing the mushrooms. I used baby portabella mushrooms in my video recipe but any type of mushroom will work well for this recipe. I really enjoy this rice with chanterelle mushrooms when they’re in season! Slice the mushrooms into small pieces and dice a small, sweet onion.
- Next, sauté the mushrooms and onion in a high-quality, salted butter until the mushrooms are browned. The butter adds so much incredible flavor!
- Simply combine this mixture with the rice, broth and season to taste. Both chicken and vegetable broth work well for this recipe. Cook the rice according to package instructions and you’re all set!
- *Cooking Tip: to save yourself from washing too many dishes at the end of the evening, sauté the mushroom and onion mixture in a frying pan that you’re going to use for the main entrée. For example, if you’re planning to make chicken to go with the rice, reuse the same pan for the chicken later!
Enjoy Mushroom Rice with…
Here are some delicious main entrees you can enjoy this mushroom rice with!
- Teriyaki Chicken Stir-Fry – use this easy side dish recipe in place of the noodles called for in the original recipe.
- Lemon Herb Plank Salmon – this rice recipe is the perfect complement to this seafood dish!
- Grilled Chimichurri Chicken – chicken and rice is one of my favorite pairings!
- Creamy Mushroom Chicken – enjoy this chicken and sauce with rice instead of the pasta!
- Roasted Leg of Lamb – the juiciest lamb recipe will pair perfectly with this rice!
Share this recipe on Pinterest!
Enjoyed this recipe? Try my ‘Chicken Rice Pilaf’ next! Another easy rice recipe!
Easy Mushroom Rice (video)
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice, I used Basmati
- 2 2/3 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 to 3 tbsp butter
- 6 to 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- salt and ground black pepper
- ground coriander, optional
- paprika, optional
- Preheat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the butter and allow it to melt, then add in the sliced mushrooms and diced onion. Saute the mixture for 7 to 8 minutes, until the mushrooms are browned and the onion is translucent. Season the mixture lightly with salt. Transfer this mixture into a medium pot for cooking the rice.
- To the pot, add the rice and broth of choice - both chicken and vegetable broth work well for this recipe. Season the rice with salt, black pepper and just a sprinkle of ground coriander and paprika. Feel free to season the rice with any of your favorite herbs and spices at this time. Cover the pot with a tight fitting lid and bring the rice to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and cook until the liquids are evaporated. Once the rice is cooked, fluff it with a fork and enjoy.
- Always cook the rice according to package instructions! Before starting the recipe, check the cooking time required for the specific rice type you are using. Also, double check for the amount of liquids. Some rice types require less or more liquids, or less or more cooking time! Adjust the recipe accordingly.