The BEST ever breakfast potato recipe with bacon! These potatoes are anything but ordinary, made with bacon fat and bacon bits, carrots, onion and a touch of dill. The bacon fat adds a ton of incredible flavor! Top with poached eggs, or serve with a side of your favorite style of eggs. Perfect for weekend breakfast or brunch!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions and see how I make this dish! Want new recipe updates? Subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel to get a notification each time a new recipe goes live!
Making Breakfast Potatoes
This delicious potato recipe is easy and effortless! First, render the bacon slices and set the crispy bacon aside, keeping all the fat in the pan. I typically add a little bit more butter, depending on how much bacon fat is in the pan. Saute the onions and carrots first, until they’re tender, then add in the potatoes. Season the pan with salt, pepper and paprika and then let the potatoes cook away! Try not to stir the potatoes too often and cover the pan with a lid to speed up the cooking process.
While the potatoes are cooking, prepare some eggs. I love to serve these breakfast potatoes with poached eggs, but if you’re not a fan of running yolks (but, seriously, they’re the best!), any type of egg will work. Serve these potatoes with a side of tomatoes, cucumbers and avocado.
A Family Favorite!
This Ukrainian recipe has been in my family for years and it never gets old! I grew up eating this dish at least once a week; making it always brings back warm, childhood memories. If my Ukrainian dad was making breakfast or brunch, there was a 50% chance that we were having this dish. He would mix it up by adding sausage or some other type of meat to make it interesting.
Dinner Side Dish
Looking for a delicious dinner potato recipe? Don’t limit this dish only to breakfast! These breakfast potatoes can also double as a great side-dish to any meat entree. Just leave off the eggs and serve the potatoes as a side dish to your favorite steak or grilled meat. I also like to serve this potato recipe with grilled chicken kabobs and a side of kale salad!
Enjoyed this easy and delicious potato recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Breakfast Sausage Skillet – one pan breakfast recipe with peppers, sausage and potatoes!
- Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict – the most decadent breakfast recipe, enjoyed at home!
- Ukrainian Stewed Beef & Potatoes – one of my favorite recipes! Hearty and tender beef with potatoes and tomato sauce!
- Sweet Potato Casserole – made with juicy pork, sweet potatoes, cheese and pecans! Great for fall!
- Oven-Roasted Potatoes – golden crispy potatoes with garlic, thyme, parsley and parmesan! These are perfect with any main entrée!
Share it on Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
- Here’s a similar red cast iron braiser – I absolutely love this pan!
- This beautiful blue ceramic dish is great for serving.
- I love these silicone spatulas – I have at least 10 of them!
Bacon Breakfast Potatoes Recipe (video)
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon
- 4 large red-skin potatoes
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp fresh dill
- 1 tbsp fresh chives
- 4 poached eggs
- Peel and cube the potatoes, then soak in cold water while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Preheat a large saute pan over medium heat and render the bacon until golden and crispy. Remove the bacon onto a tray lined with a paper towel to absorb excess oil. Into the same pan, add the butter, onion and carrots. Saute for a few minutes, until the onion is translucent. Add the potatoes and season with salt, black pepper and smoked paprika.
- Saute the potatoes over medium-low heat, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Cover the pan with a lid to shorten the cooking time. When potatoes are almost ready, cut the bacon into bits and return to the pan.
- For serving, transfer the potatoes into a serving dish and garnish with fresh dill and minced chives. Top with poached egg, or serve with desired egg on the side.