Moist coffee and buttermilk cake layers are flavored with Kahula and frosted with a salted caramel frosting. Glossy chocolate ganache finishes the top of the cake and coffee macarons garnish the top! This decadent and delicious-beyond-words cake is very simple to put together! A coffee-caramel-chocolate lover’s dream!
Coffee Caramel Cake with Chocolate Ganache
Published on August 1, 2014 | In Contemporary, Italian/French | By tatyanaseverydayfood |98 Comments
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Medium
- (4.6 /5)
- 25 Rating
- For Coffee Cake Layers:
- 1/3 cup (75g) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups (450g) white granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (8ml) vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (355ml) buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons (9g) instant coffee powder (put through food processor)
- 3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour
- 3 ¾ teaspoons (15g) baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- For Salted Caramel Frosting:
- 14 ounces (396g) dulce de leche
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup (226g) salted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) Kahula, optional
- For soaking cake layers: ½ cup (118ml) Kahula coffee liqueur OR strong coffee
- For Chocolate Ganache:
- 1/2 cup (90g) semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup (118ml) cream
- For Garnish: Coffee Macarons http://tatyanaseverydayfood.com/recipe-items/coffee-macarons-caramel-filling/
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2, 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray; set aside.
- Whisk together butter and sugar in mixer bowl. Add eggs and vanilla and whisk until smooth. In separate bowl, combine buttermilk and coffee. Whisk until smooth. In separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add buttermilk and flour, alternating. Stir until no clumps remain.
- Divide batter evenly between cake pans. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Remove cake layers from pans; cool on wire rack. Once cakes are cooled completely, use serrated knife to level off the top and slice the layers in half.
- Prepare frosting: place softened butter into mixer bowl. Whisk on high speed, scraping sides of bowl often, until butter is light and fluffy and white in color. Add dulce de leche and Kahula, if desired. Reserve ¾ cup frosting and place into pastry bag tipped with star tip.
- To assemble cake: using spoon or dispenser bottle, lightly soak each cake layer with Kahula or coffee. Spread a thin layer of frosting between layers and on sides and top. Smooth over with flat spatula. Place into refrigerator to set for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare chocolate ganache: heat cream in small saucepan until almost simmering; be careful not to burn it! Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate. Whisk until chocolate is melted and starts to thicken. Chocolate needs to start cooling; do not pour hot chocolate onto cake! Let stand for 5 minutes and let air bubbles escape. Pour half of the chocolate into a disposable pastry bag or ziplock bag.
- Use chocolate ganache to garnish sides of cake. Pour more chocolate over the top and smooth over with spatula. Place cake into refrigerator to set, about 20-30 minutes.
- If desired, garnish top of cake with reserved frosting after chocolate has set. Can also add decorative coffee macaron cookies. Keep cake refrigerated.