The most amazing tomato toast you’ve ever had! This incredibly delicious toast is made with butter-toasted, thick-cut sourdough bread finished with a garlic rub, a load of creamy cheese, juicy heirloom tomatoes and topped with fresh basil, balsamic and salt. It’s the perfect appetizer recipe to enjoy during summer and late-summer! You can use this recipe to make just a few pieces of toast, or enough to feed a crowd! Use the ingredient list as a guide! Make extras because this cheese toast will be gone in minutes!
- Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website emailing list and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications! You’ll get a message any type a new video recipe goes live!
Preparing the Bread for Tomato Toast!
This garlicky tomato toast starts with some incredible bread!
Grab a loaf of your favorite sourdough bread and cut nice thick slices, about 1/2-inch thick. Preheat a pan over medium high heat add a few tablespoons of high-quality salted butter. I recommend using salted butter for this step because it’s going to add the most amount of flavor!
Toast the bread until it’s golden and crispy. Next, grab a clove of garlic and add the magic – just lightly rub the raw garlic over the toasted bread, adding pure garlic flavor!
Add the Cheese!
This amazing tomato appetizer recipe wouldn’t be complete without cheese! This is your time to make this recipe your own – grab your favorite soft cheese!
You can use soft burrata cheese, whole-milk ricotta, soft and spreadable goat cheese, rich and creamy triple crème, or a slice of soft and salty queso fresco or mozzarella. Almost any type of soft cheese will work for this recipe! Make this tomato toast with a couple different varieties for even more fun!
Add the Tomatoes!
Next, it’s time to add the tomatoes! Grab several very ripe and aromatic heirloom tomatoes. This garden variety is worth every penny spent, especially for this recipe! Heirloom tomatoes are sweet and meaty, making them the perfect addition to this toast.
- Slice the tomatoes on the thick side and layer them over the toasted bread and cheese.
- Season the tomatoes with a sprinkle of salt and black pepper, then add a drizzle of good quality balsamic vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil. Top the tomato toast with freshly chopped basil and enjoy!
Looking for more incredible appetizer recipes? I’ve got you covered! Check out some of these other options:
- Prosciutto & Burrata Bruschetta – super easy appetizer with creamy burrata, tomato bruschetta and prosciutto on garlic bread! Yum!!
- Bacon, Garlic & Cheese Rolls – the most delicious dinner rolls with garlic butter topping!
- Spinach Panela Tartlets – amazing tartlets filled with cheese and spinach dip filling!
- Avocado Toast: 5 Ways – FIVE different ways to enjoy avocado toast!
- Avocado Chicken Egg Rolls – one of my all-time favorite appetizer recipes!
Enjoyed this recipe? Save it to Pinterest!
Garlic & Cheese Tomato Toast
- 1 sourdough loaf
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 to 4 large heirloom tomatoes
- 1/2 cup soft cheese: burrata, ricotta, soft goat cheese, queso fresco, triple creme
- small bunch fresh basil
- balsamic vinegar
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat a frying pan or griddle over medium-high heat and melt a few tablespoons of butter. Toast 3 to 4 slices of sourdough at a time until the bread is golden and crispy, about 3 to 4 minutes per batch. Add more butter as needed. Place the toasted bread on a wire rack to cool.
- While the toast is still warm, gently but firmly rub the garlic clove over the toasted bread, without crushing the bread. Pass over the bread several times to get more garlic flavor.
- Top with the cheese of your choosing: whole milk ricotta, queso fresco, soft goat cheese and even triple creme will work for this recipe. Spread a generous amount onto each slice of bread. Slice the tomatoes on the thicker side and add to the toast.
- Season the tomatoes with salt and black pepper and add a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic. Roll the basil leaves together and then thinly chop them and add to the toast. Serve the toast immediately!
- If making this recipe ahead of time, keep all the ingredients separate and serve the toast self-serve buffet bar style, with all the ingredients laid out and ready to go.