You need to make this shrimp pasta dish for dinner tonight! My avocado chimichurri seafood pasta is bound to become a favorite! This easy and refreshing dish is made with Barilla® Penne Pasta; flavorful and juicy shrimp; all coated in the most amazing zesty and creamy avocado chimichurri sauce. This dairy-free pasta recipe is a great light alternative to richer pasta dishes. And, you’ll love how quickly and easily this fusion dish comes together!
Watch My Pasta Video!
Watch my video recipe for all the details! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How to Make Chimichurri Sauce
This shrimp pasta dish is all about the creamy, zesty and delicious Avocado Chimichurri Sauce! If you’ve never had chimichurri sauce, you’re in for a real treat. This easy sauce recipe comes together in a food processor in just a few minutes. It’s made with avocado, of course, cilantro, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice. It’s a refreshing sauce that’s great for seafood pasta recipes, tacos and even steak! Check out my separate video recipe for more details!
Preparing the Shrimp
For the shrimp, I recommend going with larger-sized, wild-caught shrimp. My favorite variety is Argentinian Red – this type of shrimp is large, juicy and has a similar flesh texture to lobster! I keep the seasonings on the shrimp simple and straightforward, to allow the chimichurri sauce to shine!
Enjoyed this delicious seafood pasta recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Smoky Garlic Shrimp Scampi – easy, 15-minute shrimp pasta recipe with garlic, smoked paprika, white wine and butter.
- Creamy Crab Pasta -made with chunks of real crab and a delicious white wine cream sauce!
- And this easy ‘Salmon Fettuccine’ recipe is so flavorful and easy to make.
- My ‘Cheesy Shrimp Quesadillas’ are out of this world delicious! Juicy shrimp, guacamole, peppers and cheese!
- Mango Shrimp Salad – with juicy shrimp, chunks of mango and creamy avocado dressing!
Share it on Pinterest!
Sponsored by Barilla®
This delicious shrimp pasta recipe is sponsored by Barilla®. I absolutely love Barilla® pasta and have used this brand ever since I can remember. My mother stocks this in her pantry and I’m continuing the tradition! And, I can always pick up a few boxes along with all my other groceries at Safeway. Barilla® pasta is perfect for all your pasta needs! And, get more Barilla® Pasta recipe inspiration here: http://cbi.as/a0t6z
This video has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
Avocado Chimichurri Shrimp Pasta (video)
For Chimichurri Sauce:
- 1 large avocado
- Large bundle fresh cilantro
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 seeded jalapeno pepper
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano
- Small bundle fresh mint
- ½ cup freshly-squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup freshly-squeezed lime juice
- Zest from 1 orange
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 pounds jumbo shrimp; peeled and deveined
- ½ tsp EACH: cumin, smoked paprika
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 pound Barilla® Penne Pasta
- Prepare the Barilla® Penna Pasta first. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season with salt to taste. Add the pasta, stir and cook for 11 minutes until paste is ‘al dente’.
- While pasta is cooking, prepare the sauce. Split the avocado in half and scoop out into a food processor. Split the jalapeno and remove the seeds, then add to the avocado. Add the leafy parts of the cilantro, mint leaves and oregano.
- Zest one orange and add the zest to the food processor. Add the freshly-squeezed orange juice and lime juice; add the garlic, olive oil and salt. Pulse all the ingredients together for 2 to 3 minutes until the sauce is smooth. Set sauce aside until ready to use.
- Next, prepare the shrimp. Place the shrimp into a large bowl and season with cumin, smoked paprika, ground black pepper and a generous amount of salt.
- Preheat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and add a splash of olive oil to the pan. Once the oil is hot, add half of the shrimp. Cook the shrimp in two batches to avoid over-crowding the pan. Cook the shrimp 4 to 5 minutes, turning half-way through, cooking until the shrimp is no longer translucent.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain off the water. Add the chimichurri and the shrimp, then toss all the ingredients together until the pasta is well coated. Serve immediately.