Say ‘hello’ to your new favorite sauce recipe! My creamy, zesty and flavor-packed avocado chimichurri sauce recipe is made with cilantro, parsley, avocado and garlic for a kick of flavor like you’ve never had before! This sauce is the perfect complement to so many dishes, like my ‘Ribeye Steak Dinner’ – try it as a steak sauce, meat marinade, pasta sauce or even as a creamy spread for sandwiches! The best part – you can have it ready in under 5 minutes!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for my step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Making Chimichurri Sauce
Chimichurri sauce is a zesty and herbaceous sauce made with loads of fresh cilantro and parsley as the base. Next, an acid such as vinegar or lime juice is added to keep the sauce fresh and zesty. For my recipe, I like to add lime juice because it has a fresher flavor than vinegar. A bit of salt, pepper flakes and loads of garlic come next. The raw garlic in the sauce is incredible with heavier dishes, like my ‘Ribeye Steak Dinner’.
Making it Creamy!
Then comes the creaminess – I like to use a good quality extra-virgin olive oil and avocado. Avocado is not a traditional addition to chimichurri but it adds so much creaminess to this sauce, I love it! Adding the avocado doesn’t affect the shelf life of this recipe, either! The lime juice keeps the color and flavor fresh.
When it comes to putting all the ingredients together, I prefer to use my handy CuisinArt food processor. It’s the easiest and fastest way to make chimichurri sauce and it comes together in minutes! If you don’t have a food processor, simply finely mince all the ingredients and combine them together in a bowl.
Recipes to Try!
Chimichurri is great for so many dishes and recipes! Try it as a steak sauce for my ‘Grilled Ribeye Steak’ – coming later this week! Meanwhile, check out some other options:
- The best sauce for grilled steaks – try my ‘Ribeye Steak & Potatoes’
- Use it as a pasta sauce! Avocado Chimichurri Shrimp Pasta – this creamy seafood pasta recipe is so good and refreshing!
- Use it as a meat marinade for my ‘Grilled Chimichurri Chicken’ – the flavor is amazing!
- I love also love this sauce with my ‘Mango Fish Tacos’ – the BEST tacos ever!!
- My FAVORITE appetizer recipe ‘Avocado Chicken Egg Rolls’
Enjoyed this recipe? Save it for later on Pinterest!
Avocado Chimichurri Sauce (video)
- 1 large bundle fresh cilantro
- 1 large bundle fresh parsley
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 large avocado
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Thoroughly rinse the cilantro and parsley under cold water. Cut off the hard ends and discard. Place the cilantro and parsley into a food processor along with the remaining ingredients, except for the olive oil. Add 1/4 cup olive oil to start. Turn on food processor and pulse for about 1 minute, then add more olive oil as needed. The sauce needs to have a chunky sauce consistency but shouldn't be too dry.
- Alternatively, finely mince the parsley, cilantro and garlic. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, except for the avocado. Place the avocado into a separate bowl and mash into a puree using a large fork. Add the avocado puree to the sauce and stir until well combined.
- Keep sauce well covered and store in the refrigerator for up to one week.