One of my favorite steak salad recipes for summertime! This grilled flank steak salad with grilled corn, chimichurri sauce, avocado and cheese is going to be your new favorite! I also add some cherry tomatoes and red onion over a bed of spring mix. Every bite is bursting with incredible flavor! Plus, I’m going to teach you how to make the best, the juiciest and most flavorful flank steak that you can use for this recipe and many other! Let’s dig into this recipe!
Watch My Video!
Watch my YouTube video recipe for step-by-step instructions and see how I put this flank steak salad together at home! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How to Make Grilled Flank Steak
You’ll want to start this steak salad with the steak, of course! A flank steak is typically thin and more lean than other cuts of beef, making it great for marinating and grilling. However, it can overcook very quickly so using a meat thermometer is a must for this recipe! Here’s how I marinate and prepare my flank steak. You can use this for other dishes, too! I love this flank steak recipe for tacos!
- Season the steak: I like to place the beef into a large casserole pan to catch all the seasonings. I drizzle the steak with olive oil and freshly squeezed lime juice, then season with salt, smoked paprika, chipotle chili powder, coriander, cumin, minced garlic, and fresh cilantro. Rub the seasonings into the meat with your hands.
- Marinate: let the flank steak marinate for about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Grill: I like my grill to be extra hot so I preheat mine to 600F for at least 10 minutes. Once the grill is hot, I add the flank steak and grill for about 4 to 6 minutes per side, depending on the thickness. For a medium done steak, you’ll want to grill to 145F.
- Rest & Serve: it’s super important that you let the steak rest for at least 5 to 10 minutes before slicing it! If you cut it right away, all the juices will come right out. This type of steak needs to be sliced on the thinner side, against the grain.
Can I Marinate the Steak Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can marinate this steak ahead of time, even the night before. However, make sure you leave off the lime juice if you’re marinating overnight! Lime juice or anything acidic will actually start to break down the beef proteins and ‘cook’ the meat. If it stands for too long, it can make the beef tough instead of tender.
Can I Use a Different Type of Steak?
Can’t find flank steak or not a fan? This steak salad recipe will also work great with other types of steak such as New York Stripe and Ribeye. Check out my Ribeye Steak recipe here!
Grilled Corn Recipe
One of my favorite toppings for this grilled steak salad is the grilled corn! It’s super easy to make and the perfect addition to any summer salad recipe! My tip for grilling corn quickly? Try precooking it! I bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the corn, cooking it for 10 minutes. As soon as it’s done, I rub butter all over, which will add flavor and help our seasonings stick. I used smoked paprika, chipotle chili powder and salt for my recipe but feel free to add your favorite seasonings. I grill the corn along with the flank steak, for about 10 minutes, just until it’s lightly charred/grilled all over.
To serve the corn with this salad, I like to cut away the kernels from the cob. For this step, just place the corn cob into a bowl and use a sharp knife to cut away the kernels.
Avocado Chimichurri Dressing
Chimichurri is my all-time favorite sauce for meats, and it also works great as a dressing for this flank steak salad! You’ll want this sauce everyday once you try it! I have a separate video recipe for my creamy Avocado Chimichurri Sauce so make sure to check it out! This sauce is creamy, zesty, garlicky and refreshing! It pairs very well with grilled meats and especially with grilled flank steak! If the sauce is too thick for your liking, you can thin it out further with more olive oil and lime juice.
Assembling the Salad
Putting this steak salad together is a breeze! While I’m waiting for my steak to marinate, I slice some cherry tomatoes, a red onion or shallots, avocado, and I crumble some feta cheese. Here’s how I assemble it:
- Fill a large salad bowl or platter with spring greens, spinach or arugula. Baby kale will also work great.
- Sprinkle on the toppings! I like to layer the grilled corn, tomatoes, cheese and onion over the spring greens, then add the sliced avocado on top.
- Slice the grilled and rested steak into thin strips and then cut into smaller, more manageable pieces. Place the steak on top!
- Add the dressing! Spoon on the chimichurri sauce over the steak and the salad. If the sauce is too thick, you can thin it out further with more olive oil and lime juice.
What Types of Cheese Can I Use?
For this summer salad, I used feta cheese but my all-time favorite is crumbled blue cheese. It’s a little stronger and not everyone enjoys it but it’s definitely worth trying, too! You can also use gorgonzola cheese, which is milder in flavor. Goat cheese or even crumble cotija cheese will also work well!
Enjoyed this easy grilled steak salad recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- California Fig & Steak Salad – this is one of my favorites! Juicy ribeye with fresh figs, avocado and balsamic dressing!
- Asian Chicken Salad – you’ll love this version of everyone’s favorite, with juicy teriyaki chicken, loads of veggies and homemade dressing!
- Italian Pasta Salad – the best pasta salad with all the fixings, including salami, cheese, olives, veggies and more!
- Spinach Chicken Salad – another great salad for summertime, with juicy garlic chicken, blue cheese, pears, nuts and balsamic dressing.
- Caramelized Onion Bacon Cheeseburger – the ultimate cheeseburger, with my burger sauce, homemade patties and brioche buns!
Share it on Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
- Digital Meat Thermometer – I love these so much, I have two of them in my kitchen!
- Epicurean Carving Board – I use this board for cutting just about everything. Plus, it’s dishwasher safe!
- CuisinArt Food Processor – use this powerful food processor for making the chimichurri sauce in seconds!
- Oval Salad Platter – one of my favorite platters! I recently dropped and broke it and so glad I found it online!
- Corn Holders – I’m sad to say I only discovered these a few years ago but they make eating and handling corn so much easier!
Grilled Flank Steak Salad with Corn (video)
For Grilled Flank Steak:
- 1 large flank steak, about 2 lbs
- 2 to 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 to 3 limes
- Coarse sea salt
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 to 3 ears of corn
- 1 tbsp butter
- Salt, smoked paprika, chipotle chili powder
- 8 to 10 cups spring greens
- 10 to 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- ½ cup crumbled feta, blue, or gorgonzola cheese
- 1 Recipe ‘Avocado Chimichurri Sauce’
- Prepare the flank steak first. Place the steak into a large casserole or baking pan. Drizzle all over with olive oil and squeeze the juice of 2 to 3 limes. Season the steak generously sea salt, smoked paprika, chili powder, coriander and cumin. Add the minced garlic and cilantro and rub the seasonings into the steak very well. Cover the steak and place into the refrigerator to marinate for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the remaining salad ingredients. For the corn, bring a medium-sized pot of water to a boil, add the corn and cook it for 10 minutes. Remove it from the water onto a tray, then rub the butter all over. Season the corn lightly with salt, smoked paprika and chili powder. Set aside.
- Prepare a batch of my Avocado Chimichurri Sauce. I have that recipe linked in the post above; or, use my search bar at the top of the page to find it.
- Slice the tomatoes, avocado and red onion, then a set aside. Fill a large salad bowl or platter with the spring greens.
- Grilling: Preheat your outdoor grill to 600F over high heat for about 10 minutes. Once the grill grates are extra hot, add the flank steak in the center and place the corn on the sides. Grill the steak for 4 to 6 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Close the grill lid to cook the steak faster. For a medium doneness, cook the steak to 145F. Check the temperature using a meat thermometer. Turn the corn every couple of minutes until it’s lightly charred all over.
- Allow the grilled steak to rest on a carving board for at least 5 to 10 minutes. Then, use a sharp carving knife and slice the beef into thin slices, cutting against the grain. Cut the strips into smaller pieces for the salad.
- Place the grilled corn into a bowl and use a knife to cut away the kernels from the cob.
- To assemble the salad, layer the grilled corn, red onion, tomatoes and cheese over the spring greens. Add the sliced avocado on top. Add the grilled, sliced flank steak on top.
- Dress the salad with the prepared chimichurri sauce. If the sauce is too thick, thin it out with more olive oil and lime juice. Sprinkle freshly chopped cilantro over top, if desired. Serve the salad while the steak is still warm, with a side of slice baguette.