Easy Grilled Chimichurri Chicken (video)
The one and only chicken drumstick recipe you’ll need for the summer grilling season! This easy grilled chimichurri chicken recipe with homemade sauce is bursting with flavor and it’s unbelievably juicy! Plus, it’s super easy to make – you can have the chimichurri recipe ready to go in 5 minutes. Marinate the chicken the day before for a quick and easy dinner the next day. Also, try my creamy ‘Avocado Chimichurri Sauce’ as a dipping sauce on the side!
Watch My Chimichurri Chicken Video!
Watch my YouTube grilled chimichurri chicken video recipe for all the details and step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe notifications? Make sure to subscribe to my website email list and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications.
The Chimichurri Marinade
If you’ve never had chimichurri sauce before, you are seriously missing out on some incredible flavor! Try my ‘Creamy Avocado Chimichurri Sauce’ as a dip for meat next time! It’s a zesty and refreshing herb sauce made with cilantro, lime juice, garlic and peppers. I love this sauce as a dip and as a marinade, like in this recipe. And adding this sauce to grilled chicken is a no brainer!
- For best results, marinate the chicken drumsticks in the marinade overnight, allowing all those incredible flavors to really sink into the meat.
I also like to make a quick dipping sauce for the chicken using a bit of the chimichurri sauce combined with Greek yogurt, olive oil and salt. It’s super creamy and the perfect complement to the grilled chicken. Just set aside a few scoops of the sauce before pouring it over the chicken!
Choices For Grilled Chicken
Choosing the correct type of chicken meat is super important when grilling it. I recommend going with juicier cuts of meat with the skin and bones intact. The skin will be nice and crispy when grilled and the bones will keep the meat very moist!
My husband loves chicken drumsticks so I tend to use them the most for this recipe. You can also use chicken thighs and chicken breasts; just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly! Large chicken pieces always require more time to cook.
Use Your Oven!
Want to enjoy this chicken recipe outside of the grilling season? Just preheat your oven to 425F and place the chicken onto a foil-lined baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes, turning halfway through, until the internal temperature reaches 160F. For the last 5 to 7 minutes, turn on the broiler and broil the chicken under high heat to get the skin nice and crispy!
Side Dish Ideas!
I usually serve this chicken with a few simple side dishes such as potatoes, rice or salad! Check out some of my recipes for more ideas!
- Grilled Veggie Salad – zucchini, mushrooms, bell peppers and onion coated in a zesty garlic dressing!
- BLT Salad – this crunchy and refreshing salad is loaded with veggies, cheese and bacon!
- Bacon Garlic Potatoes – these potatoes are seriously amazing, with garlic, herbs and cheese!
- Easy Mushroom Rice – this delicious rice dish is bound to become a family favorite!
- Loaded Garlic, Cheddar Bacon Potatoes – the most epic potato dish with bacon bits, fresh herbs, garlic butter and cheddar cheese!
Share it on Pinterest!
Supplies & Tools
Need some supplies or tools to make this recipe at home? You can get them here using my Amazon affiliate links. Using these links won’t cost you extra and I’ll earn a small commission.
- My classic CuisinArt food processor is a beast – simple but gets the job done well!
- I love using this set of glass mixing bowls when prepping food.
- This set of grilling tools – tongs, fork and spatula – are amazing!
Grilled Chimichurri Chicken Drumsticks (video)
- 3 to 4 pounds bone-in chicken
- small bundle EACH: fresh dill, parsley, cilantro
- 1 small shallot or onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 sweet red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white table vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 tsp EACH: ground cumin, coriander
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
For Dipping Sauce:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp chimichurri sauce
- Prepare the chimichurri sauce first. Place the fresh herbs, shallot, garlic, and peppers into a food processor. Pulse until the ingredients are finely minced. In a separate measuring cup, combine the olive oil, vinegar, salt, sugar and spices. Add this mixture to the food processor and pulse again for about 10 seconds, just until everything is combined.
- Reserve 2 to 3 tablespoons of the chimichurri for the dipping sauce. Arrange the chicken in a large mixing bowl and pour the sauce over it. Using your hands, massage the sauce into the chicken, coating it evenly. Cover the bowl with plastic and set into the refrigerator to marinate for a minimum of 4 hours, or leave overnight for best results.
- When ready to grill, preheat the grill to 475F, medium-low heat. Grill the chicken about 7 to 8 minutes per side. Add any remaining sauce to the chicken using a rubber brush, if desired. After 16 to 17 minutes, when the chicken is nicely charred, move it to the second rack in the grill, keeping the flame/temperature the same. Keep the grill closed and cook the chicken with indirect heat for an additional 15 to 16 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 160F.
- For the dipping sauce, combine the reserved 3 tablespoons chimichurri sauce with the yogurt, olive oil and season with salt. Mix the ingredients together until a uniform sauce forms.
So excited to try this!!
It’s soo good! Enjoy 🙂