The BEST egg rolls recipe ever! These avocado chicken egg rolls are stuffed with mozzarella cheese, my avocado chimichurri dipping sauce, juicy chicken and creamy avocado. They’re bound to become a favorite! This amazing recipe is inspired by Cheesecake Factory’s avocado egg rolls; I had them once and fell in love! I love this appetizer recipe for parties, special occasions or just because! This chicken recipe can even double as a dinner entree.
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions and tips for making the perfect avocado egg roll! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
The Avocado Chicken Filling
What I love so much about these chicken egg rolls is all the different textures! This easy appetizer recipe starts with juicy chicken. I like to use chicken thigh but chicken breast will also work well for this recipe. Just the cut the chicken into small, bite-sized pieces so that every bite has some chicken. The chicken is then fried with diced onion and seasoned with smoked paprika. I love the smoky flavor of the paprika combined with the cheese and avocado! The juicy chicken is combined with loads of chunky and creamy avocado, melty mozzarella cheese and seasoned with lime juice, Worcestershire sauce and chimichurri sauce!
The Chimichurri Dipping Sauce
The chimichurri is actually my favorite part of the recipe! I use it for the filling and as a sauce. It adds ALL the flavor to this appetizer recipe! I make a batch of my ‘Avocado Chimichurri Sauce’ – it’s a super creamy and zesty sauce that also doubles as the dipping sauce. This sauce recipe comes together in minutes with a food processor! You’ll need just 1/4 cup for the filling; use the rest for dipping! You can watch my step-by-step video recipe for the sauce here:
- Bacon & Garlic Rolls – the best ever dinner rolls stuffed with bacon, cheese and garlic butter!
- Smoked Salmon Profiteroles – fluffy choux pastry filled with creamy salmon filling!
- Spicy & Smoky Stuffed Mini Peppers – these are filled with a creamy cheese and bacon filling!
- How to Make a Charcuterie Board – want to learn how to make a beautiful cheese spread?
- Spinach Panela Tartlets – image a spinach dip inside of a tart! These are it!
Enjoyed this recipe? Save it for later on Pinterest!
Amazing Avocado Chicken Egg Rolls (video)
- 1 lb chicken thigh, cubed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- salt, black pepper
- 4 medium avocados, diced
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 cup grated mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- juice from 1 lime, about 2 tbsp
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup chimichurri sauce
- 16 to 18 egg roll wrappers
- 6 to 8 cups oil, for deep frying
For Chimichurri Sauce:
- 1 large bundle fresh cilantro
- 1 large bundle fresh parsley
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 large avocado
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- The chimichurri sauce can be prepared first; even several days in advance. Simply place all the sauce ingredients into a food processor and pulse into a chunky sauce. Full video recipe linked in blog post above. Watch my video recipe for more details.
- Prepare the chicken next. Cube the chicken into small pieces. Preheat a large frying pan over medium/high heat and add a splash of oil. Add the chicken and diced onion, then season with a generous amount of salt, black pepper and the smoked paprika. Fry for 5 to 7 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Transfer the chicken into a large mixing bowl.
- Into the mixing bowl, add the cubed avocado (1-cm pieces), green onion, cheese, lime juice, Worcestershire, and seasonings. Also add the 1/4 cup chimichurri sauce. Use a spatula or a gloved hand to combine all the ingredients together.
- To assemble the egg rolls, place a generous amount of the filling onto the egg roll wrapper, in the center. Fold over the bottom first, then the sides. Moisten the edges of the wrapper with water to seal the dough, then gently finish rolling the egg roll.
- Preheat 6 to 8 cups of canola or vegetable oil in a medium sized sauce pot to 325F to 350F (160C-180C). The oil needs to be super hot; use a thermometer. Fry the egg rolls 3 to 4 at a time for 3 to 4 minutes, until they are a rich golden brown color. Remove them gently using kitchen tongs and place onto a tray lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Serve warm with the remaining chimichurri sauce as a dipping sauce.