Get yourself ready for one of the most incredible chocolate cakes – the tuxedo cake! It’s incredibly chocolatey and incredibly delicious! This cake is made with rich chocolate cake layers sandwiched between creamy and rich no-bake cheesecake mousse layers. One bite and you’ll be hooked for life! I don’t know where it’s been all my life, but I feel like I was seriously missing out until now!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions and watch me make the cake! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How to Make Tuxedo Cake
The chocolate tuxedo cake is a cake like no other!
- It’s made with rich chocolate cake layers, no-bake cheesecake filling between the layers and more chocolate on top! For this recipe, I used my ‘Best Chocolate Cake’ recipe from my ‘Back to Cake Basics’ series.
- First, bake the cake and then let it cool completely; do not use warm cake for this recipe because it will melt the cheesecake filling!
- The cake layers are generously soaked with chocolate sauce and caramel sauce. This makes the cake layers uber rich and moist! Check out my ‘Homemade Caramel Sauce’ recipe for the best caramel!
- Next, the cake layers are filled with a no-bake chocolate cheesecake filling.
- Let the cake set overnight, then drizzle the top with more chocolate and enjoy!
No-Bake Cheesecake Filling
Next, the layers are filled with two types of no-bake chocolate cheesecake! I make a simple cheesecake base, then divide it in half. Into one half, I add melted semi-sweet chocolate and into the other, melted white chocolate. The cheesecake filling is so light and fluffy and delicate! And for even more chocolate, I also added some chocolate chips between the layers! Every bite of the mousse is heavenly and just melts in your mouth! The combination of cheesecake and chocolate is irresistible!
Assembling the Tuxedo Cake
To assemble this incredible tuxedo cake, I used a springform pan.
- You can also line the inside of the pan with an acetate cake collar (affiliate link) – it will keep the sides of the cake extra smooth!
- Drop the first chocolate cake layer into the pan, top with the semi-sweet chocolate cheesecake filling.
- Add the next cake layer and then top with the white chocolate cheesecake.
- Allow the cake to set in the refrigerator overnight for best results.
- And to garnish this cake, I just melted some chocolate chips and drizzled the chocolate over the top. BAM – gorgeous cake all done and ready to be devoured!
Enjoyed this decadent chocolate tuxedo cake recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Strawberry Tuxedo Cake – a berry version of this amazing cake, with fresh strawberries!
- Triple Chocolate Cheesecake – three layers with three different types of chocolate, with a chocolate crust!
- Chocolate Cherry Mousse Cake – delicate chocolate mousse with cherries and chocolate sponge cake!
- Triple Coffee Cheesecake – coffee cheesecake with coffee mousse and coffee whipped cream!
Share it on Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
Chocolate Tuxedo Cake Recipe (video)
For Chocolate Cake Layers:
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened at room temperature
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For No-Bake Cheesecake Filling:
- 24 oz cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatine
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chocolate syrup
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce
- chopped chocolate or caramels
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips, melted; for garnish
- Prepare the chocolate cake layer first. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9-inch spring form pan with parchment paper and spray sides with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg whites and vanilla extract and beat until light and fluffy. Pour in the milk. In separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Using a sifter, add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined; do not over mix!
- Bake cake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until the center is set and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove cake from spring form pan and cool completely. Once cooled, split the cake layer in half using a long, serrated knife; set aside.
- Prepare the cheesecake filling: place the cream cheese into a stand mixer bowl and beat the cream cheese for 8 to 10 minutes until cream cheese is very light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl often to get all the cream cheese mixed!
- Add the sour cream, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla. Continue to mix for a few minutes until ingredients are well mixed.
- Place the two different chocolates into separate bowls. Using a double boiler or microwave, melt the chocolate until smooth; set aside.
- Prepare the gelatin: dissolve the gelatin in a small bowl. Heat the gelatin in the microwave for 1 minute, stirring every 10 seconds, until gelatin is smooth and melted. If using sheet gelatin, allow the gelatin to bloom for at least 5 minutes.
- Next, temper the gelatin: add about 1 cup of the cheesecake filling to the gelatine and whisk until well-combined. Then add the tempered gelatine into the remaining cheesecake filling. Mix on high speed for a few minutes and scrap down sides of bowl often.
- Working quickly, divide the cheesecake filling between the two bowls of melted chocolate. Using a spatula, fold the chocolate and filling together.
- Next, assemble the cake. Use the same spring form pan used for the cake layer. Drop one chocolate cake layer into the pan and drizzle a generous amount of chocolate syrup and caramel sauce over the top; can also add chopped chocolate or chocolate covered caramel bits. Add the dark chocolate cheesecake filling and spread evenly to the edges.
- Top with second cake layer and repeat the process. Smooth the top of the cake with an off-set spatula that has been warmed under hot water. Set cake into refrigerator to set for about 4 hours, or overnight.
- To release the cake from the spring form pan, run a flat spatula along the edges. To garnish the cake, melt 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips and transfer the melted chocolate into a ziplock bag; drizzle over the top.
- Keep cake refrigerated and covered to avoid drying; remove about 30 minutes prior to serving.