The easiest and most delicious apple dessert for fall! My cranberry almond apple crisp recipe is super easy to make and so aromatic! It’s made with chopped apples tossed with cinnamon and sugar, then topped with a crispy oat, cranberry and almond crunchy topping! Enjoy this apple fall dessert warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!
Watch My Apple Crisp Video Tutorial!
Watch my YouTube video recipe for step-by-step instructions for making this easy apple dessert! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Ingredients for Cranberry Apple Crisp
Here are the main ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Apples: use firm and crisp apples for best results. I like to use Granny Smith apples for most of my apple recipes.
- White Granulated Sugar
- Cornstarch: for thickening the apple juices as the apple crisp bakes.
- Rolled Oats: use rolled or old fashioned oats for making the crispy topping.
- Almonds: I love to add almonds for extra crunchy and a nutty flavor.
- Cinnamon: ground cinnamon is a must for this recipe! It adds so much great flavor!
- Dried Cranberries: tart, dried cranberries complement the juicy apples.
Which Type of Apples to Use
You can make an apple crisp with a variety of different apples! My preferred apple for all my apple dessert recipe is Granny Smith apples. This firm and tart variety bakes very well. Look for a firm and crispy apple that will hold up well. Fuji, Honeycrisp and Red Delicious will also work well for this recipe.
Preparing the Apples
One of the reasons I love this fall dessert so much is because it’s super easy to make!
- I start with my apples first! I like to use peeled apples for this apple crisp recipe but you can also keep the peel on.
- Chop the apples into medium sized pieces; don’t go too small! Place the chopped apples into a large bowl, then it’s time for seasoning!
- I season the apples with a generous amount of ground cinnamon and a little bit of cloves and nutmeg. For sweetness, I add just ¼ cup (50 g) of sugar. If you would like your apple dessert to be on the sweeter side, feel free to add more, up to ½ cup (100 g) of sugar.
- Toss the apples together with lemon juice, vanilla and cornstarch. The cornstarch will help thicken the apple juices as the apples bake.
How to Make Cranberry Apple Crisp
Once you have the apples ready, it’s time to prepare the topping! To make this apple crisp more flavorful, I also add chopped almonds and dried cranberries to the classic topping recipe.
- To make the topping, first cut ½ cup ice cold butter into ¾ cup all-purpose flour. I recommend using a pastry blender (affiliate link) for this step, but two large forks will also work. I find that using a food processor makes the crumbs too fine.
- Next, add in the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, cranberries and almonds and toss everything together. Spread the crumbly topping over the chopped apples arranged in a large casserole dish.
- Bake the apple crisp at 350F for 50 to 60 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the apples are soft. Baking time depends on how deep or shallow your casserole pan is. For deep dish casseroles bake for longer; for more shallow dishes, bake for less.
Apple Crisp Serving Suggestions
This fall dessert will fill your home with the most incredible, mouthwatering aroma! My favorite way to enjoy this apple crisp recipe is a la mode – with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream, while the apples are still warm! Once the dessert is done baking, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for about 15 minutes. Scoop a large amount of apple crisp for each serving and add a scoop of ice cream. Try adding a drizzle of homemade caramel sauce for even more flavor!
Enjoyed this easy and delicious apple dessert? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Easy Caramel Apple Cake – another easy dessert recipe with soft apple cake, apple butter and whipped cream topping!
- Maple Apple Streusel Cake – quick and EASY apple cake sweetened with maple syrup and topped with a crunchy almond streusel!
- Apple Butter Tart – stunning apple tart with all-butter pie crust, apple butter filling and beautifully arranged sliced apples!
- Apple Butter Recipe – learn how to make homemade apple butter! So rich and creamy and delicious with fall desserts!
- Berry Peach Crumble – this fruity crumble is made with loads of fruit and berries, plus an oat topping. Enjoy with ice cream!
Share it on Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
- Pastry Blender – easily cut butter into flour with this handy kitchen tool!
- Large Casserole Dish – you’ll use this dish for so many recipes!
- Zeroll Ice Cream Scoop – the best ever ice cream scoop! Very solidly made and works so well!
- Glass Mixing Bowls – my mixing bowls are the most used item in my kitchen!
Easy Cranberry Almond Apple Crisp Recipe (video)
- 6 large apples
- ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp EACH: ground cloves, ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsalted butter; ice cold
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup chopped almonds
- ¼ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 2 cups Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350F/177C. Prepare a large casserole pan for the dessert.
- First, prepare the apples. Peel and cut the apples to a medium dice – not too small or too big. (Unpeeled apples will also work.) Place the chopped apples into a large mixing bowl and add the lemon juice, vanilla extract, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, sugar and cornstarch. Use a large spoon to toss the apples until they’re well coated. Transfer the apples into the prepared casserole dish.
- Next, prepare the topping. Place the cold butter and all-purpose flour into a medium mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender or two large forks, cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles medium crumbs. Next, add the remaining ingredients: oats, sugar, cinnamon, almonds and cranberries. Use a spoon to toss everything together.
- Sprinkle the prepared crumble topping over the apples in an even layer. Bake the apple crisp at 350F/177C for 50 to 60 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the apples are soft. The timing depends on how thickly layered the apples are. For a deep-dish casserole, bake longer; for a shallower dish, bake for less.
- Remove the apple crisp from the oven and let it cool for about 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy the apple crisp warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and homemade caramel sauce.