The best and only recipe you need for made-from-scratch vanilla cake! My vanilla cake recipe yields a very tender and moist cake with just the right amount of sweetness and vanilla flavor! This recipe uses just 8 simple, everyday ingredients that you probably already have! This recipe can be made both as a white cake or yellow cake. Serve it simply with my ‘Vanilla Buttercream’ recipe or dress it up for just about any occasion!
This cake recipe is from my ‘Back to Cake Basics’ series, where I share simple cake, frosting and filling recipes!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe notifications? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel!
White or Yellow Cake
This easy cake recipe can be made with all egg whites or whole eggs. Using just egg whites will yield a pure white cake. Whisk the egg whites separately, then fold into the batter. You can also use this recipe for a basic yellow or cream colored cake by using whole eggs in place of the egg whites. Both recipes will taste great!
Pan Sizing Guide
- 2 or 3, 8-inch rounds; 2, 9-inch rounds
- 13×17-inch jelly roll pan for a sheet cake; 10×10-inch square pan
- 24 count cupcake pan
- 10-inch bundt cake pan
This simple cake is perfect for adding delicious fillings, flavorings and just about any frosting! Here are a few flavor ideas that you try with this recipe:
- Pair this cake recipe with my super easy ‘Vanilla Buttercream’!
- Or, try it with my ‘French Buttercream’ recipe – a different kind of cake frosting that you never knew you loved!
- lemon flavor with lemon juice and lemon zest (I recommend using lemon zest from 2 lemons).
- strawberry, raspberry or blueberry flavor – just toss the berries in cornstarch and add.
- coconut flavor- add a bit of coconut extract and 1 cup flaked coconut.
- these are just a few ideas – the possibilities are endless!
Enjoyed this easy vanilla cake recipe? Check out some of my other ‘Back to Cake Basics’ episodes!
- Best Chocolate Cake Recipe – easy recipe for the best chocolate cake!
- Vanilla Sponge Cake – the best ever, no-fail sponge cake recipe!
- Chocolate Sponge Cake – chocolate flavored sponge cake.
Share it on Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links)
- I love my handy, handheld KitchenAid mixer for when I don’t need my larger stand mixer.
- This set of nesting glass mixing bowls are great for food prep.
- These 8-inch aluminum cake pans are my favorite for baking cake layers.
- And these pre-cut parchment paper rounds are a huge time saver.
Easy Vanilla Cake Recipe (video)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 egg whites, or 4 whole eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare desired cake tins: use this recipe for 2 or 3, 8-inch rounds; 2, 10-inch rounds; 13x17-inch jelly roll pan for a sheet cake; also makes 24 cupcakes. Line pans with parchment paper and line cupcake tin with cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together softened butter, sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Add the egg whites or eggs and beat again until creamy and smooth. Using only egg whites yields a more 'white' cake; using whole eggs will give the cake a soft yellow color. Next, pour in the milk (I recommend using warm milk).
- In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt. Sift the dry ingredients into the cake batter and whisk by hand to avoid over-mixing the batter.
- Divide the cake batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake in preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes for 3, 8-inch rounds; or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for about 10 minutes, then invert onto cooling rack to cool completely. Frost and fill cake once the cake is completely cooled. IF not using the layers right away, wrap with plastic wrap to avoid drying.