One of my favorite Ukrainian salad recipes! This refreshing and delicious cucumber cabbage salad recipe has been a family favorite for decades. It’s made simply with cabbage, cucumbers, a large sprinkling of fresh dill, toasted almonds, and seasoned with fresh lemon juice and olive oil. This salad pairs especially well with grilled or roasted meats during the summer months, but it’s great year-round, too.
Watch My Cabbage Salad Video Tutorial!
Watch my YouTube video tutorial for all the details and step-by-step instructions for making this refreshing cucumber cabbage salad! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website email list and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Ingredients for the Recipe
This quick and easy cucumber cabbage salad requires very few ingredients. Here are some tips for the main items; find the full, printable recipe below.
- Cabbage: I like to use Napa or Chinese cabbage because it tends to be sweeter and softer. Young, summer cabbage also works well.
- Cucumbers: my favorite are the small cocktail cucumbers from Costco. Persian cucumbers also work well.
- Fresh Dill: using fresh herbs is a must for this salad! The fresh dill will add so much great flavor!
- Almonds: toasted, slivered almonds add a great nutty flavor and extra crunch!
- Lemon Juice: you can also use white vinegar for the recipe.
How to Make Cucumber Cabbage Salad
You’ll love this easy Ukrainian salad recipe for everyday cooking! It pairs really well with grilled or roasted meats, too.
- Start by cutting or slicing the cabbage into thin strips. If you’re using firm cabbage, massage the cabbage with your hands for a minute before adding the remaining ingredients.
- Next, add the sliced cucumbers, toasted almonds, fresh dill and green onions.
- I like to dress this salad simply with salt, olive oil and lemon juice.
- Allow the salad to stand for a few minutes before enjoying for the best flavor. Making this cucumber salad ahead of time? Leave off the dressing until ready to serve!
A Family Favorite
This refreshing and crunchy cabbage salad is a family favorite! Growing up, we had this salad at least twice a week during the summer with garden-fresh vegetables! My mom grew her own cabbages, cucumbers, tomatoes, green onion and even dill! I love adding toasted almond slivers for extra crunch. Even though it’s not a traditional, Ukrainian addition, I find it adds incredible flavor. And, to finish the salad off, a bit of freshly-squeezed Meyer lemon juice for zestfulness!
Enjoyed this easy salad recipe? Check out some of my other recipe options you’re sure to enjoy!
- Braised Cabbage with Sausage – easy, one-pan braised cabbage with zucchini, peppers, smoky sausage and more! Perfect for busy weekdays!
- Pomegranate Kale Salad – so crunchy and delicious! A combination of kale, apples, pomegranate, broccoli and more, tossed with a zesty dressing!
- Pickled Cabbage Salad – this is a summertime favorite! Pickled cabbage, peppers and veggies are crunchy, refreshing, and will last in the fridge for weeks.
- The Best BLT Salad – another amazing option with loads of flavor! Bacon, cheese, tomatoes, avocado and more. Great with grilled meats.
- Watermelon Feta Salad: a refreshing combination of sweet watermelon, creamy feta, crunchy cucumbers, sweet nectarines and a lemon dressing!
Share it on Pinterest!
Cucumber Cabbage Salad Recipe (video)
- 1 small regular cabbage
- 1 small savoy or Napa cabbage
- 3 green onions
- 3 medium Persian cucumbers, or cocktail cucumbers
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped dill
- 1/3 cup toasted, slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice from 1 to 2 large lemons, or white distilled vinegar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Using a sharp knife, cut around the hard, fibrous core of each cabbage and discard the it. Chop the cabbage into thin strips, or use a mandolin slicer to cut into thin pieces. Add the cabbage into a large bowl.
- Chop the green onions, using the white and green parts. Slice the cucumber into thin slices. Chop a large bunch of fresh dill and add it to the salad.
- Combine all of the chopped ingredients, seasonings, lemon juice, olive oil and almonds in a large bowl. Toss all the ingredients together and season to taste with salt.
- If making this salad ahead of time, keep the seasonings separate. Combine the oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl then add when ready to serve.