A refreshing and crunchy salad that will impress your taste buds! This delicious cucumber and cabbage salad with toasted almonds, fresh dill and green onion is bound to become a family favorite. You’ll instantly fall in love with this super easy to make and versatile salad. It’s great as a side dish it just about any dish – stewed beef, barbecued chicken or even grilled fish. I make this salad year-round because it simply never gets old!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for all the details and step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
Easy Cabbage Salad
You’ll love this easy salad recipe for everyday cooking! First, choose a great head of cabbage. I like to use Napa or Chinese cabbage because it tends to be sweeter and softer. Young, summer cabbage also works well. Shred the cabbage into thin strips. If you’re using firm cabbage, massage the cabbage with your hands for a minute before adding the remaining ingredients.
Next, add the cucumbers, almonds, dill and green onions. I like to dress this salad simply with salt, olive oil and lemon juice. Allow the salad to stand for a few minutes before enjoying for the best flavor. Making this cucumber salad ahead of time? Leave off the dressing until ready to serve!
A Family Favorite
This refreshing and crunchy cabbage salad is a family favorite! Growing up, we had this salad at least twice a week during the summer with garden-fresh vegetables! My mom grew her own cabbages, cucumbers, tomatoes, green onion and even dill! I love adding toasted almond slivers for extra crunch. Even though it’s not a traditional addition, it’s just what the salad needs. And, to finish the salad off, a bit of freshly-squeezed Meyer lemon juice for zestfulness!
Enjoyed this easy salad recipe? Check out some of my other recipe options!
- Pomegranate Kale Salad – so crunchy and delicious! Tossed with a zesty dressing!
- Pickled Cabbage Salad – cabbage, peppers and veggies marinated to perfection!
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad – the best ever pasta salad with so much flavor!
- Prosciutto & Pear Salad – with mozzarella cheese and arugula.
Share it on Pinterest!
Cucumber Cabbage Salad Recipe (video)
- 1 small regular cabbage
- 1 small savoy or Napa cabbage
- 3 green onions
- 1 large English cucumber
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped dill
- 1/3 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice from 1 large lemon
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Using a sharp knife, cut around the central core of each cabbage and discard the core. Slice each cabbage into thin, long strips.
- Chop the green onions, using white and green parts. Slice the cucumber into thin slices. I used English cucumber for this recipe but any type will work. Chop a large bunch of fresh dill and add it to the salad.
- Combine all of the chopped ingredients, seasonings, lemon juice, oil and almonds in a large bowl. Toss all the ingredients together and season to taste with salt.
- If making this salad ahead of time, keep the seasonings separate. Combine the oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl then add when ready to serve.