This incredibly delicious and creamy baked chicken casserole with baby potatoes is made with simple, everyday ingredients. The flavors and aromas of this chicken recipe will have your mouth watering looong before it’s done! And the best part? You can have it in the oven in 20 minutes! When your life is hectic and busy, this is just the dish you need. You get the best of both worlds: an amazing dinner to enjoy and you don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for all the details! Want new recipe updates? Subscribe to my YouTube channel to get a notification each time a new recipe goes live!
Easy Chicken Casserole
I make my easy and creamy chicken casserole with cream, white wine, shallots, garlic, parsley and dill. I love everything about this dish – from the potatoes that simply melt in your mouth like butter to the delicious sauce and crispy-skinned chicken! This recipe is so easy, it’s almost too good to be true. Just place all the ingredients into a casserole and bake. You can even prepare all the ingredients and assemble the dish ahead of time. Then, bake when ready to enjoy.
What I love about this casserole is that it’s made with simple, everyday ingredients – chicken, potatoes, and wine. These are things you probably have in your fridge right now! I’ve received a lot of questions about replacing the wine. You can replace the wine with chicken broth, but I highly recommend adding the wine. The alcohol will cook out during the cooking process (which means this dish will be alcohol free!) and it adds incredible flavor.
Getting That Crispy Skin
Getting the color on baked chicken can be a bit tricky! To get that enviable, crispy golden chicken skin, first bake the chicken casserole covered with foil for 20 minutes, then uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes. When the chicken is almost done, switch the oven setting over to the broiler. Baste the chicken with the sauce, then broil the casserole until the chicken skin is golden brown and crispy. You can use this tip when baking other meats, too. The broiler is the best way to get that color!
This recipe is already a family favorite! Doesn’t this casserole look simply divine? Wish you guys could taste and smell this through the screen! Make it tonight for dinner!
Can I Skip the Wine?
Yes, you can make this recipe without the white wine, although I highly recommend adding it! The alcohol will cook off during the cooking process so it’s perfectly safe for the whole family. If you cannot use wine, replace the wine with the same amount of chicken broth instead. Also, try adding a squeeze of lemon juice over the chicken casserole once it’s all done! Do not add the lemon juice to the cream, as it will cause the cream to curdle.
Why Did My Cream Curdle?
Curdled cream can be a result of your white wine being too acidic. I recommend using a more mild wine, such as a pinot grigio or sauvignon blanc. If it tastes very sour, it’s too strong for this recipe. You can also take an extra step and reduce the wine, along with 1/2 cup chicken broth, on the stovetop in a small saucepan for about 3 to 4 minutes.
More Chicken Recipes!
Looking for more delicious chicken recipes? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to love!
- Creamy Chicken Mushroom Pasta – with a creamy white wine sauce and juicy chicken!
- Chicken Mushroom Casserole – super easy dish with crushed baby potatoes and a creamy mushroom sauce!
- One-Pot Pepper & Chicken Rice – aromatic and delicious pepper and smoked paprika rice with bone-in juicy chicken!
- Easy Chicken Rice Pilaf – the best chicken rice dish ever and it’s super easy!
- Mango Chicken Curry – aromatic, creamy and delicious coconut mango curry with juicy chicken! This dish is a must-try!!
Enjoyed this recipe? Please share and save it to Pinterest!
Easy Potato & Chicken Casserole Recipe (video)
- 4 lbs bone-in chicken thighs & drumsticks
- 1 1/2 lb baby potatoes, skin-on
- 2 large shallots, diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup white wine
- coarse sea salt and black pepper
- smoked paprika
- garlic and onion powder
- chopped dill
- chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Fill a large pot with water, season generously with salt and add the baby potatoes. Cook the potatoes over high heat, bringing the water to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chicken. Arrange the chicken in a large casserole baking dish. Season the chicken generously all over with coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the diced shallots, minced garlic and the baby potatoes once they are done cooking. Pour in the heavy cream and white wine (I used chardonnay; any dry white wine will work well).
- Next, season the casserole with spices - sprinkle the chicken and potatoes liberally with smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chopped dill and parsley.
- Cover the casserole with foil and bake the dish in the preheated oven covered for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove the foil and continue baking for 25 to 35 minutes. The timing depends on the size of your chicken pieces; larger pieces require additional time. Test for readiness with a thermometer - chicken needs to reach 160F.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let it stand for at least 15 minutes before serving; the chicken and potatoes will be very hot!