Put down whatever you’re doing and make this easy and delicious chicken casserole for dinner tonight! You will love everything about this easy recipe, starting with the juicy, rotisserie chicken, the BACON, the creamy mushroom sauce and the cheesy potatoes on top! It’s also great recipe to use for leftover Thanksgiving turkey or chicken! It’s the perfect dinner recipe for any day of the week!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for all the details and step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How to Make a Creamy Chicken Casserole!
For my easy chicken casserole, I used rotisserie chicken to cut down on prep time but you can use any cut of chicken you have on hand. Simply cook the chicken first, then cut into smaller pieces. I usually get a chicken at Costco while I’m running errands and serve it with a salad once I get home. I came up with this recipe when I had some leftover chicken. It’s been a huge hit with my husband and it’s such an easy way to use up any leftover chicken. This is also a great recipe if you have some leftover Thanksgiving turkey!
I toss the chicken together with loads of cheddar cheese, cream and lots of goodies like bacon bits, sun-dried tomatoes and mushrooms. Then I top the dish off with crushed baby potatoes, but you can also use pasta for this dish! Cook the potatoes in a pot of salted water first, then season with spices and crush them and add to the top! Top this chicken casserole with more cheddar cheese before baking! Bake for about 25 minutes until that cheese is melted and you’re all set for a phenomenal dinner!
Looking for more easy and delicious dinner recipes? Check out some of these other recipes!
- Spinach Dip Chicken Pasta – spinach dip, chicken and pasta come together to make one incredible dish!
- Sweet Potato & Pork Casserole – if you love sweet potatoes, you’re going to love this delicious recipe!
- Creamy Chicken Casserole – another super easy chicken and potato casserole with drumsticks!
- Maple Dijon Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner – the most aromatic and delicious roasted chicken with sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts and bacon bits!
- One-Pot Pepper & Chicken Rice – aromatic and delicious pepper and smoked paprika rice with bone-in juicy chicken!
Enjoyed this recipe? Please share and save it to Pinterest!
Creamy Potato & Chicken Casserole Recipe (video)
- 4 slices smoked bacon
- 10 crimini or white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 shallots or 1 small onion, diced
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH: dried basil, smoked paprika, salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 10 to 15 baby potatoes
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon EACH: paprika, dried basil
- chopped chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place the baby potatoes into a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Cook the potatoes until they are fork tender. Remove them from water and cool while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and render it until crispy, then remove onto paper towels to cool and absorb excess oil. Once cooled, dice bacon into small bits, then place into a large mixing bowl. Into the same hot pan, add the sliced mushrooms and saute for 5 to 7 minutes until browned. Remove them and add to the bacon.
- Into the same pan, add the shallots, garlic and red bell pepper. Saute over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, until the bell pepper is tender.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients together: shredded chicken, cheese, cream, diced bacon, mushrooms, onion-pepper mixture, sun-dried tomatoes and the spices. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Fold everything together with a spatula or wooden spoon until nicely coated. Spread the mixture into the bottom of an oven-safe dish or casserole pan. Do not compact the mixture; you want to layer it loosely.
- Next, prepare the crushed potatoes: toss the potatoes in olive oil, season with salt, paprika and basil. Using a potato crusher or a large fork, press the potatoes to flatten them. Place the crushed potatoes on top of the prepare chicken filling. Sprinkle more cheddar cheese over the top.
- Bake the casserole in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until the cheese is all melted and bubbling at edges. Garnish with chopped chives and serve hot with a simple side salad or sliced avocado.