Nothing says summer like the aroma of a fresh fruit pie wafting from the kitchen! This classic peach pie recipe is made with an all-butter pie crust and filled with layers of fresh peaches and cinnamon-nutmeg crumble! I love to add a lattice pie crust top to make this summer pie extra special! Serve it a la mode with vanilla ice cream for the ultimate treat!
Watch My Peach Pie Video Tutorial!
Watch my peach pie video recipe for step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website email list and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
This post may contain affiliate links.
How to Make a Pie Crust!
I always make my peach pie with an all-butter crust! It’s super flaky, delicate and flavorful! The key to making a great pie crust is using ice cold butter. I like to cube my butter, place it into the freezer for 15 to 30 minutes, until it’s really cold. Pulse the butter and flour together until fine crumbs form. Don’t have a food processor? Just use a pastry cutter or two large forks to get the job done. Check out my other video recipe, ‘How to Make a Pie Crust’ for an in-depth video tutorial!
The Peach Pie Filling
This delicious summer pie recipe starts with the peaches! You can also use nectarines for this recipe. I recommend using fresh fruit but if it’s the off season, canned peaches will also work well. Thinly slice the fruit so that it cooks evenly and quickly. Try to cut all the slices approximately the same for even cooking.
Peach Pie Crumble Filling
Next, prepare the crumble. This cinnamon sugar crumble serves two purposes! First, it adds tons of cinnamon and nutmeg flavor to the pie. It also helps thicken the peach juices as the pie cooks, thanks to the flour and cornstarch that I add. When assembling the peach pie, layer the peaches and crumble alternating in thin layers, to ensure that every bite is flavorful and delicious! To finish off the top, add a lattice top to the pie to make it extra special!
Baking the Pie
Once you have the pie assembled, it’s time for the oven! Arrange a thin strip of foil around the edges of the pie to prevent the edges from burning. You can also use a pie crust protector! Bake the peach pie for 45 minutes or until bottom of pie is golden and ready. Remove it from the oven and let it cool for at least 1 hour before cutting; for best results, cool for several hours or overnight. Serve the peach pie warm with vanilla bean ice cream.
Enjoyed this peach pie recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Easy Peach Galette – this easy tart recipe is like a lazy version of pie!
- Peaches & Cream Zefir Torte – delicate sponge cake filled with the fluffiest peach marshmallow!
- Classic Pecan Pie – this delicious pecan pie is sweetened with maple syrup!
- Classic Fruit Tart – the best fruit tart recipe with lemon curd, cheesecake filling and loads of berries!
Share it on Pinterest!
Classic Peach Pie Recipe (video)
- 8-10 fresh peaches, pitted and sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon each: ground nutmeg, cinnamon
- 1 vanilla bean
For Pie Crust:
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 7 to 8 tablespoons cold water, about 1/2 cup
For Egg Wash:
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup water
- large sugar granules
- First, prepare the pie crust. Place the cold butter, all-purpose flour, salt and sugar into a food processor. Pulse for a few minutes, until fine crumbs form. You can also use a pastry cutter or two large forks for the same process.
- Gradually begin adding the water into the food processor, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough begins to hold its shape. Keep mixing until the dough comes together into a ball. Remove the dough onto lightly floured work surface. Shape it into flat disk, wrap with plastic wrap and set it into refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Making the filling. First, thinly slice the peaches or nectarines. Next, prepare the crumble: in a large bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, butter, sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon. Scrap the seeds from the vanilla bean and add to crumble (can also use 1 teaspoon vanilla). Use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until fine crumbs from.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Remove the dough from the fridge and cut it in half. Roll out the first half of the dough on a lightly floured work surface, making it approximately 2-inch larger than your pie pan. Gently lift the dough off the work surface and line your pie pan, leaving the extra dough hanging off the edges.
- Roll out the second half of the prepared pie crust. Using a rule or a long, sharp knife, cut into the dough into equal strips and arrange in lattice pattern over pie. Watch my video recipe to see how it's done. Crimp the edges and discard leftover dough. Fill the pie alternating with the sliced peaches and the crumble until the pie is filled.
- For the egg wash: Beat together the egg and water in a small ramekin. Using a pastry brush, brush the egg wash over dough. Sprinkle the large sugar crystals over the egg wash before it dries to ensure the sugar adheres to the surface.
- Arrange a thin strip of foil around the edges (or use pie crust protector) of the pie to prevent the edges from burning. Bake the peach pie for 45 minutes or until bottom of pie is golden and ready. Remove the from the oven and let it cool for at least 1 hour before cutting; for best results, cool for several hours or overnight. Serve the peach pie warm with vanilla bean ice cream.