Chocolate and strawberries – a match made in heaven! This chocolate strawberry cheesecake is my version of the fraisier cake! It’s made with rich chocolate cake using my Perfect Chocolate Cake Recipe, no-bake vanilla cheesecake dotted with fresh strawberries, and garnished with sliced strawberries. It’s topped with a simple whipped cream and more strawberries! Can you think of a better strawberry cake?!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for step-by-step instructions! Want new recipe updates?? Make sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel! You’ll get a notification every time a new recipe goes live!
The fluffiest No-Bake Cheesecake!
The no-bake vanilla strawberry cheesecake center in this fraisier cake is simply amazing! It’s light, fluffy and packed full of juicy, fruity strawberries. I have a secret ingredient to make the cheesecake super fluffy – whole milk ricotta cheese! Mixing the lighter ricotta cheese with the denser cream cheese results in the most delicate cheesecake you’ll ever have! I use ricotta cheese for my cheese cakes in my new cookbook, ‘The European Cake Cookbook’, a lot! I also add heavy cream to the filling, which makes it even lighter and fluffier!
The Chocolate Cake!
For the base and top of my strawberry fraisier cake, I used a reduced recipe of my ‘Perfect Chocolate Cake’! The chocolate cake is super rich, moist yet fluffy, making it the perfect cake for this creation. I prepared 3/4 of the original recipe; I’ve included the measurements below to make it easy! Bake the batter in an 8-inch pan and let it cool completely. Once cooled, slice it in half to create two layers.
I used an 8-inch cake pan for my recipe, then added an acetate cake collar to add height to the pan. Otherwise, all the no bake cheesecake filling wouldn’t fit. If you don’t have a tall pan or an acetate cake collar, just prepare this recipe in a 9-inch pan!
How To Make A No-Bake Cheesecake
I love the look of fresh strawberries set into the sides of this fraisier cake! To set the cheesecake layer, I used regular gelatin. Make sure to dissolve the gelatin completely and add it into the cheesecake batter while it’s still piping hot. This way, the gelatin will not clump. If you are looking for a vegan option, try using agar gelatin. The preparation will be slightly different. Combine just 1 tablespoon agar gelatin with 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat for about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the consistency looks like applesauce. Do not let it cool, add the hot gelatin straight into the mixer and whisk right away.
- Whether you’re using regular gelatin or agar, allow the strawberry cake to chill in the fridge for at least 6 hours, or leave it in overnight. You can garnish the top with whipped cream and strawberries right away or after it’s set.
Enjoyed this incredible strawberry cake recipe? Make sure to check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Ultimate Strawberry Cheesecake – stunning berry cheesecake with diced strawberries and strawberry jam, topped with chocolate strawberries!
- No-Bake Strawberry Tiramisu Cake’ – one of the best strawberry cakes! This berry cake is so light and fluffy!
- Strawberry Nutella Cheesecake’ n – fluffy nutella cheesecake with loads of fresh strawberries!
- Strawberry Red Velvet Cheesecake – rich, red velvet cheesecake topped with strawberry mousse!
- Strawberries & Cream Swiss Roll Cake – the best-ever strawberry cake with delicate sponge cake, strawberries and mascarpone whipped cream filling!
Share it on Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
- I love this aluminum spring form pan for baking cakes and cheesecakes.
- I use a bulk roll of acetate cake collar – just cut it to size for each cake.
- The classic KitchenAid stand mixer is a must in every kitchen!
- And garnish the cake using these jumbo cake decorating tips.
Chocolate Strawberry Fraisier Cake Recipe (video)
For Chocolate Cake:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp instant coffee powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
For No-Bake Cheesecake:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 2 tbsp unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- 8 to 10 extra-large strawberries, halved
For Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves, for filling
- Prepare the chocolate cake first; this can be done even a few days in advance. Preheat the oven to 350F and line the bottom of an 8-inch pan with parchment paper (see my note above about using a larger pan).
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar for a few minutes until light and fluffy. Then add in the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix again until creamy. Combine the milk and instant coffee, then heat until the coffee dissolves and milk is warm. Pour the milk into the batter.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Mix together, then sift into the cake batter to get rid of any clumps. Using a hand whisk, mix the flour into the batter just until combined. Be careful not to over-mix the batter! Gently fold in melted chocolate at the very end. Bake the batter in the prepared pan for 40 to 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool completely, then level off the top and split the layer in half.
- Prepare the chocolate cake for filling. Spread 1/4 cup strawberry preserves onto each layer. Place one layer into the bottom of a spring form pan and line the sides with acetate. Arrange the large, sliced strawberries along the perimeter of the pan, with the open side facing out.
- For the cheesecake filling: place the softened cream cheese, ricotta cheese, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla into a large mixing bowl. Whisk on high speed for 3 to 4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl often, until the mixture is creamy and clump free. Add the confectioner's sugar and heavy cream. Mix on low speed for a minute, then increase speed and whisk until mixture is fluffy, about 2 minutes on high speed.
- Next, prepare the gelatin (see my notes on using agar above). Combine the gelatin and 1/4 cup water in a small bowl and mix together well. Microwave for 45 seconds, stirring every 10 seconds, until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Do not allow the gelatin to cool; add it straight into the cheesecake filling and whisk right away on high speed. Scrape down the bowl to make sure it's all incorporated.
- Fold in the diced strawberries last, then pour the filling into the prepared spring form pan. Level off the top of the cheesecake, then place the second chocolate cake layer on top. Press it lightly in place. Refrigerate the cake for at least 6 hours, or leave it in the fridge overnight.
- When ready to serve, garnish with whipped cream and strawberries. For the whipped cream, place the chilled heavy cream, sugar and vanilla into a large mixing bowl. Whisk on high speed for 4 to 5 minutes, until stiff peaks form. Pipe onto the cake using a decorative tip; I used # 829.