Chocolate Raspberry Cake Recipe (video)
This chocolate raspberry cake is definitely a show-stopper! This elegant raspberry cake is made of moist chocolate cake filled with creamy, raspberry cream cheese frosting and more raspberries! I garnish the top with more berries and chocolate squares. The flavor combination just doesn’t get any better than this! Plus, this cake is ridiculously easy to make; perfect for when you need an elegant cake in a pinch!
Watch My Cake Video!
Watch my YouTube video recipe for step-by-step instructions and see how I put this cake together! Want new recipe updates? Subscribe to my website emailing list and to my YouTube channel to get a notification each time a new recipe goes live!
The Chocolate Cake Layers
Now let’s talk about what’s inside. The chocolate cake layers are tender, moist and have a fluffy texture. They’re chocolate-y without being too rich, too sweet or too heavy. They’re also great for soaking up syrup! Try soaking the cake layers with raspberry liqueur or simple syrup for more moisture! Make sure the cake layers cool completely before slicing them in half and filling!
This recipe would also work great with my ‘Chocolate Cake Recipe’ – this recipe has a richer chocolate flavor!
Raspberry Whipped Cream
The creamy, dreamy raspberry cream cheese frosting really makes this cake! It’s one of the most incredible frostings I know of! The berry flavor from the raspberries combined with the whipped cream make for an irresistible cream that you’ll want to eat straight out of the mixing bowl!
Assembling the Chocolate Raspberry Cake
Here’s how I put this cake together:
- Once the cake layers are completely cooled, take a long serrated knife and split the cake layers in half.
- If desired, soak the cake layers lightly with a raspberry liqueur or a simple syrup. This will make the cake layers more moist.
- Spread a generous amount of prepared raspberry whipped cream frosting between each layer.
- Garnish the top of the cake with more frosting, and if desired, frost the sides of the cake as well. I recommend frosting the sides if you’re planning to keep the cake for a few days. Garnish the top with whipped cream, berries and chocolate squares.
Garnishing the Top!
For the finishing garnishes, I added whipped cream dollops, more fresh raspberries and pieces of chocolate bar. I left the cake open and ‘naked’ for my video recipe, but feel free to frost the top and sides of the cake to seal the layers. Do this especially if you’re making the cake ahead of time and want to store it in the refrigerator. If the layers are frosted, then won’t dry out!
Enjoyed this delicious and fruity cake? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Chocolate Raspberry Cake – the ultimate raspberry cake with crushed berry filling, fruity raspberry buttercream and rich chocolate cake layers!
- Chocolate Raspberry Meringue Cake – rich chocolate cake layers filled with raspberry lemon curd and frosted with torched meringue!
- Chocolate Raspberry Roulade – delicate chocolate sponge cake soaked with raspberry liqueur and filled with raspberry cream!
- Lemon Raspberry Cake – lemon-y and berry cake layers frosted with a cream cheese frosting!
- Chocolate Raspberry Tart – rich, chocolate caramel filled tart topped with raspberry preserves and more raspberries!
Please share and save it to Pinterest!
Chocolate Raspberry Cake Recipe (video)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 16 ounces whipped cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 cups frozen or fresh raspberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- fresh raspberries, mint leaves, chocolate bar for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter and flour two, 8-inch cake pans; set aside. Place the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla into a large mixer bowl and whisk for 2 to 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture, alternating with milk, mixing just enough to combine.
- Divide the cake batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the cake layers from the oven and turn the cakes over onto cooling racks. Let the cake layer cool completely.
- For the frosting: Place the heavy cream, vanilla and sugar into a large mixer bowl. Whisk on high speed for 3 to 5 minutes until stiff peaks form. Gradually, start adding the whipped and softened cream cheese.
- Mix the frosting just until the cream cheese is well incorporated, about 1 minute. At this point, reserve 1 cup of the whipped cream for garnishing the top and place it into a pastry bag. Fold in the raspberries by hand into the remaining cream. (If using regular cream cheese, beat the cheese beforehand in a small mixing bowl for a few minutes until it's smooth.)
- When the cakes are completely cooled, use a long, serrated knife to cut layers in half. To assemble cake, place the first cake layer onto cake platter. If desired, soak the cake layers lightly with simple syrup or raspberry liqueur at this time. Top with generous amount of the raspberry frosting and spread it evenly to the sides with a spatula. Repeat the process for all 4 layers. If desired, frost the top and sides of the cake, too. Garnish the top with the reserved whipped cream, fresh raspberries, and chocolate bar broken into triangles. Watch my video recipe to see how it's done!
- Keep the cake refrigerated until ready to serve.
This cake is pure delish!!! Thanks for the recipe!!!!
Thanks for trying my recipe! It’s definitely on of my favorites, too! 🙂
Thank you so much for recipe! I made it and it was so so good!
Thank you for trying my recipe! I love this cake, too! 🙂
This cake is THE BEST! i made it for my birthday and it was a hit! you did an amazing job :)))
Thank you for trying my recipe – glad you enjoyed it! I love this cake, too! 🙂
What if I use regular cream cheese for the frosting, not whipped?
Yes, you can definitely use regular cream cheese. Let the cream cheese softened first and whisk it on high speed until its light and fluffy before using it for the recipe
Made this cake for my birthday yesterday and I finally found my favorite chocolate cake ever! I love the combination of cream cheese, heavy cream, raspberries and chocolate layers! Just super moist, soft and not too sweet! Loved it, loved it, loved it!
So glad to hear you liked the recipe! I love this cheesecake, too and the raspberry sauce is always my husband’s favorite! 🙂
@ tkorchemnaya, Can you please confirm the amount of butter in your recipe? ’cause in the video (around 0:50-53), it shows that you’re adding 3-4 slabs of butter but per your recipe (listed above), it says 1/4 cup butter. Thanks and appreciate it!
Hi! 🙂 it is 1/4 cup butter. Sorry for the confusion! The butter stick I was using had 1/2 cup of butter, I added approximately half. It’s a delicious cake! Hope you enjoy it!
Is it ok to use 9 inch cake pans? I am going to try making this tonight!
Absolutely! 🙂 You can use the 9-inch pans. Hope your cake turned out well! 🙂
I’m going to make this cake this weekend for my sister’s birthday party. I’m planning on using 11in pans because our family is big 😀 by how much should I increase the ingredients? I’m looking forward to trying this cake 😀
🙂 Happy birthday to your sister! I would recommend just doubling the recipe. It will be easier to calculate the measurements. I baked my layers in 8-inch pans. Good luck and hope everyone enjoys the cake! 🙂
Tried this recipe after Jello Mousse Cake. And it turned out to be one of the best cakes I’ve ever tasted lol I messed it up at first though -I overwhipped cream and it got all chunky so I had to run to the store and get more heavy cream(the layers were already almost done by the time I started working on cream). 2nd time everything worked out great 🙂 5 out of 5. Great recipes, Tatiana! Keep ’em coming 🙂
Awesome! 🙂 I love hearing back from my viewers. Thank you for the feedback and for trying out the recipes!
Hello! I’m in the process of making this cake – when made ahead of time to you suggest refrigeration or just leaving it out?
I always recommend refrigerating when making ahead of time. Enjoy! 🙂
Sweetie, this cake looks delish!! I have a question though, can I substitute raspberries with strawberries? And how can I do it? Thanx a lot!
[…] View Recipe Link […]
Hi, im planning on making this cake tomorrow for my moms birthday, do u think your rasberries whipped cream would be good with this cake?
Hi! What a great idea! The whipped cream recipe would be amazing here! 🙂 Enjoy and happy birthday to your mom!
Best cake ever. So moist and the flavor combo is perfection! Thanks so much!
Hi Dana! I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe!! 🙂