The ultimate chocolate raspberry cake recipe! If you love chocolate and raspberries, this is definitely the cake for you! The delicate and rich buttermilk chocolate cake layers are dotted with fresh raspberries! Then the cake is filled with more crushed raspberries and frosted with my new ‘Raspberry Buttercream’! This berry frosting is everything! It’s fluffy, fruity and delicious! Garnish this festive and stunning cake with more raspberries for your next special occasion or holiday celebration! It’s a great cake for Valentine’s Day, too!
Watch My Video!
Watch my YouTube video recipe for step-by-step video instructions and watch me put together the cake! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
The Chocolate Raspberry Cake Layers
I start this incredible chocolate raspberry cake with the delicate and rich chocolate cake layers! I like to use a buttermilk and oil-based cake batter to ensure that the cake is extra moist! I also add a combination of melted semi-sweet chocolate and dark cocoa powder so that the chocolate flavor is super intense! And before I bake the cake layers, I press fresh raspberries into the cake batter so that every bite has berry flavor! If you want to use frozen berries for this recipe, just make sure to thaw the berries beforehand!
Once the cake layers are cooled, it’s very important to let them cool completely before you begin assembling the cake, otherwise the frosting will melt. You can even prepare the cake layers a day or two ahead of time and keep them well covered and refrigerated until ready to use.
The Best Raspberry Buttercream
My favorite part of this Chocolate Raspberry Cake is the all the real raspberry flavor, and that includes the incredible buttercream! I used my new ‘Raspberry Buttercream’ recipe for this cake. I have a separate video recipe for this frosting so make sure to check it out! This frosting is made with raspberry sauce, which gives it real berry flavor, aroma and tartness!
Make the frosting while you are baking the cake layers and letting them cool. While the cake layers are cooling, it’s also a great time to prepare the filling!
Assembling the Cake
For filling this incredible chocolate raspberry cake, I use crushed, plain raspberries! The berries are sweet on their own but feel free to add a bit of sugar if you want the filling to be sweeter. Once my chocolate cake layers are cooled and I have my buttercream frosting ready to go, it’s time to assemble the cake.
- First, level off the top of each cake layer, then lightly soak it with raspberry liqueur to add even more flavor! Don’t want to use alcohol? Try using a simply syrup flavored with raspberry extract instead.
- Next, add a thin layer of buttercream, then pipe a barrier ring of frosting around the edge; this will help keep the crushed raspberries in place so they don’t come out the sides!
- Add the crushed raspberries into the center of each cake layer and repeat the process.
- I recommend frosting the top and sides of the cake with a thin, crumb coat of frosting to seal any crumbs before adding the final layer of buttercream. I also like to garnish the top with fresh berries!
Enjoyed this incredible and rich chocolate cake recipe? Make sure to check out some of my other cake recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Raspberry Lemon Cake – zesty and lemony cake layers dotted with raspberries and frosted with a creamy lemon cream cheese frosting!
- Chocolate Raspberry Meringue Cake – another fantastic berry cake with chocolate sponge cake, raspberry lemon curd filling and a meringue topping!
- White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake – one of my favorite cheesecake recipes! With white chocolate, loads of raspberries and a tart raspberry sauce!
- Chocolate Raspberry Swiss Roll – you’ll love this incredible chocolate sponge cake with raspberry liqueur and raspberry whipped cream filling!
- Raspberry Tiramisu Cake – the ultimate tiramisu cake with delicate sponge cake, raspberry liqueur and a traditional tiramisu filling!
Share it on Pinterest!
Supplies & Tools
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
- Dark Cocoa Powder – I love Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder for baking! It makes any dessert extra rich and chocolate-y!
- Decorating Tips – This set of jumbo cake decorating tips includes all my favorites!
- Disposable Pastry Bags – I love to use disposable pastry bags and these come in a bulk roll that will last you a long time!
- Ateco Turn Table – If you love to bake cakes, this classic turn table is a must!
- Use this Cake Scrapper and these Offset Cake Spatulas to get the buttercream extra smooth!