Weekends are for sleeping in and enjoying a late, delicious breakfast! But this recipe is so easy, you can even enjoy for a weekday breakfast! My easy tomato, avocado and cheese omelet is filled with loads of cheese, smoky ham and diced tomatoes! Garnish this omelet with slices of tomato and avocado for the ultimate omelet experience!
Cheese Omelet Fillings
For me, omelet fillings can make or break the recipe! For this easy omelet, I’m keeping things really simple and adding just a few filling ingredients. Feel free to change up the recipe and add your favorite fillings. Some recommendations include bacon, sausage, peppers, mushrooms and garlic.
First, heat a sauté pan with a little bit of oil. Once the pan is hot, add the ham, tomatoes and shallot and sauté for a few minutes. You want to cook the mixture until most of the tomato juices are evaporated. Let the filling cool slightly before using it for the omelet.
How to Make a Cheese Omelet
Once you have your fillings ready, it’s time to make the omelet! I recommend using a medium-sized pan for fluffier omelets.
- First, whisk together the eggs and milk in a large bowl, season the eggs, then add the prepared fillings and some cheese. I like to add cheese to the batter and on top of the cheese omelet!
- The secret to making a great omelet is cooking it slowly! Cook the eggs over medium-low heat and gently stir with a spatula, but only in the beginning! You want to create some structure with the eggs first, then let them cook away! I like to close the pan with a lid to cook the eggs quicker while keeping the heat low.
- When the eggs are almost done cooking, gently fold the omelet in half with a spatula and slide onto a plate! Top with more cheese, sliced avocado and tomato and enjoy!
Enjoyed this easy breakfast recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Asparagus & Prosciutto Frittata – this spring-inspired Italian omelet is made with cherry tomatoes, asparagus, cheese and prosciutto!
- Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict – my all-time favorite breakfast recipe! With smoked salmon, avocado, poached egg and homemade Hollandaise sauce!
- Smoky Bacon Quiche – the best ever quiche recipe with sausage, loads of cheese and veggies, baked in a buttery crust!
- Breakfast Egg Muffins – these easy muffins are like an omelet to go! Easy to make and great for breakfast on the go!
Please share and save it to Pinterest!
Easy Avocado Cheese Omelet
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped smoked ham
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH: salt, pepper, dried basil, dried oregano, paprika
- small bunch chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1 small heirloom tomato, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- salad greens and toast for serving
- Preheat a large sauté pan and add a tablespoon of oil. Add to hot pan diced ham, shallot, and tomato. Sauté over medium heat for 7 to 8 minutes until tender and reduced. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk, season with salt, pepper and herbs. Add the sautéed mixture to the eggs, along with the chives, and half of the cheese.
- Heat a medium sized frying pan and add 1 tablespoon oil. Pour in the egg mixture. Stir slowly for the first minute, then turn heat down to low, cover with lid and let the top almost set, about 8 minutes. Carefully, fold omelette in half and cook for addition 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and onto plate. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and top with slices of heirloom tomato and avocado.