Breakfast is one of my favorite meals of the day – there’s something special about the aroma of eggs, sausage and bacon cooking in the morning! These breakfast egg muffins are the perfect combination of an egg omelette and hash browns, all in bite! I make these muffins with all the usual omelette ingredients: mushrooms, shallots, peppers and cheese. Each bite is packed full of amazing, mouth-watering flavor! I love to make these for Sunday brunch and enjoy them with a side of avocado and heirloom tomatoes.
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for all the details!Want new recipe updates? Subscribe to my YouTube channel to get a notification each time a new recipe goes live!
Egg Muffin Fillings!
These egg muffins are packed with incredible flavors you can actually see! I love the bits of sausage, peppers and dill on top! And, try adding your favorite fillings to these egg muffins to change up the recipe; like bacon, ham, broccoli or even wilted spinach. Feel free to add your favorite veggies, cheeses or meats to this recipe to make it your own!
Make Ahead Instructions
Try this breakfast recipe as a make-ahead breakfast, too! Make these Sunday night to enjoy a delicious breakfast for the next few days. Allow the muffins to cool completely, then wrap individually or on a tray and refrigerate them for up to 3 days. Place them into the freezer for an extended shelf life. Just warm up in the morning in the microwave or in the oven as you head out to work! Also, this recipe can be easily adjusted to make 12 muffins, just double the recipe!
Looking for more incredible breakfast recipes? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Try my ‘Loaded Breakfast Burritos’ next! They’re great for making ahead, too!
- Croissant Breakfast Sandwich – the ultimate sandwich with buttery bread, bacon, cheese and egg!
- Sausage & Cheese Croissant – these easy croissants are stuffed with juicy breakfast sausage!
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins – these sweet and tender muffins are packed with lemon flavor!
- Sheet Pan Breakfast Potatoes – a complete, mouthwatering breakfast, made in one pan! With bacon, sausage, peppers and more!
Share it on Pinterest!
Need some supplies to make this recipe? You can get them here (Amazon affiliate links):
- This 12-count pan with removable bottoms is perfect for this recipe! You’ll be able to remove the egg muffins from the pan easily!
- I love my Analon non-stick pans – by far, the best non-stick pans that actually last and don’t ruin!
- Use this set of nesting glass mixing bowls for easy food prep.
Breakfast Egg Muffins Recipe (video)
- 4 breakfast sausage links, chopped
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 3 large mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- salt for seasoning
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1 teaspoon EACH: salt, dried basil
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped chives and dill, for garnish
- smoked paprika
- 2 cups frozen hash browns; regular or sweet potato
- Preheat oven to 375F. Prepare a 6-cup muffin tin: grease the cups very well and spray with cooking spray.
- Prepare the filling. Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Add the chopped sausage and brown all over. Add the remaining filling ingredients: shallot, mushrooms and pepper. Season with a bit of salt and saute for a few minutes until shallot is translucent and pepper is tender. Set the fillings aside and allow them to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, prepare the egg mixture. Whisk the eggs together with water, salt, dried basil and ground black pepper. Add the grated cheddar cheese and cooled fillings.
- Assemble the muffins. Fill each muffin cup about half way with loosely packed hash browns. Spoon the egg mixture over the top. Garnish the top with chopped chives and fresh dill; sprinkle with smoked paprika.
- Bake the egg muffins in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the top is completely set. Allow the muffins to cool for a few minutes in the pan before removing. Serve with sliced avocado or tomatoes on the side.