Zucchini & Sausage Shakshuka (video)
If you’re looking for a new and different breakfast recipe, my sausage shakshuka is for you! This aromatic and spicy Middle-Eastern dish is made with a flavorful tomato sauce, onion, peppers and a few eggs dropped right in! I make version with chunks of zucchini and smoky sausage for added texture and flavor. I love to add a generous amount of crumbled cheese and sliced avocado on top for added creaminess. And, don’t forget to have plenty of toasted bread on hand to help soak up all that delicious sauce!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video recipe for all the details and step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
How to Make Shakshuka
This incredible breakfast recipe is made with a delicious tomato-based sauce.
- Start first with the protein – I like to use a mildly spicy sausage to add more flavor. You can use ground sausage meat or just slice a few of your favorite links. Chorizo, breakfast sausage or even ground lamb will work well.
- Brown the meat first, then remove and set aside. Into the same pan, add the peppers, onions and veggies. You can try making this sausage shakshuka with other vegetables like eggplant, mushrooms or cauliflower!
Seasoning & Cooking the Shakshuka
Once you have the veggies and meat done, add the tomato sauce and season generously with spices.
- I like to use aromatic spices like paprika, cumin, coriander and chili powder. These spices make this breakfast dish so warming and aromatic.
- When you’re ready to add the eggs, make small wells in the shakshuka mixture and drop them in. To cook the eggs faster, cover the pan with a lid and cook over low heat.
Enjoy this warming breakfast dish with plenty of toppings! I like to add crumbled creamy cheese like feta or goat cheese. Also, try adding sliced avocado, micro greens, pickled onions or sliced radishes. And don’t forget to have lots of bread on hand to mop up the delicious sauce! I recommend a hearty, artisan bread.
Enjoyed this delicious breakfast recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Bacon Breakfast Potatoes – the best breakfast potatoes with bacon bits!
- Smoky Bacon Quiche – with loads of cheese! So delicious!
- Asparagus & Prosciutto Frittata – with cheese and tomatoes.
- Avocado Toast, 5-Ways – five different ways to enjoy avocado toast!
- Sheet Pan Breakfast Potatoes – a complete, mouthwatering breakfast, made in one pan! With bacon, sausage, peppers and more!
Enjoyed this recipe? Please share and save it to Pinterest!
Zucchini and Sausage Shakshuka (video)
- 2 to 3 sausage links, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 green or red bell pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 14 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 10 oz canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH: chili powder, ground cumin, dried tarragon, smoked paprika, ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH: salt, ground black pepper, sugar
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 to 5 Eggs
- 1 large avocado, for serving
- Preheat a medium-sized frying pan over medium heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil and add sliced sausage. I used organic spicy Italian sausage. Fry the sausage until nicely browned all over. Remove the sausage from the pan.
- Into the same pan, add the diced onion, garlic and bell pepper. Saute the mixture for 5 to 7 minutes until onion is translucent and bell pepper is tender. Add all of the spices and seasonings to the pan; continue to cook for a few minutes.
- Return the sausage to the pan, add the zucchini, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir everything together and turn the heat down to a medium-low. Simmer the mixture for 15 to 20 minutes to allow all the flavors to combine.
- After 20 minutes, sprinkle feta cheese over the top. Using a spatula, create small wells for each egg. Drop eggs directly into the sauce. Cook over medium heat just until egg whites are set. Serve hot with sliced avocado.
This looks so good and healthy! I am always looking for new creative dishes to make for breakfast!