Crispy and buttery potato galette is the ultimate potato breakfast recipe! You’ll love this easy recipe for potato galette, topped with a poached egg, smoked salmon, avocado and more! The shredded potatoes are first seasoned, then shaped into a pancake slowly fried until cooked and crispy! You can even enjoy this dish with a bit of homemade chimichurri sauce! This rustic, French recipe is something you can make at home to impress your family! Enjoy this recipe for breakfast or a weekend brunch!
Watch My Potato Galette Video!
Watch my video recipe for all the details and step-by-step instructions! Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
What’s a Galette?
Galette is a French culinary term used to describe flat pancakes or thin and crispy cakes and pies. The potato galette is a French classic and enjoyed with many different toppings! It can also be made with various cuts of potato: shredded or sliced. These types of galettes can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
How to Make a Potato Galette
This easy breakfast recipe starts with the potatoes!
- If you have the time to peel and grate your own potatoes, they work best for this recipe. Once you have the potatoes grated, place them in a bowl of cold water for 10 minutes, then squeeze dry and use. Realistically, I’m super lazy in the morning so I stock my freezer with frozen potato hash browns and they work beautifully for this recipe!
- Season the potatoes well with salt, pepper, thyme, garlic powder or your favorite seasonings.
- Arrange the potatoes into a pancake in a small frying pan or cast iron skillet with melted butter.
- The secret to a great potato galette is cooking it slowly!! Let the potatoes get golden and crispy over a low heat, allowing the potatoes to cook in the inside and crisp up on the outside.
- Flip the potato pancake only when the first gets golden! Try covering the pan with a lid to speed up the cooking process!
Breakfast Galette Toppings!
This potato pancake recipe is all about the toppings! I like to add some delicious smoked salmon, sliced avocado and a poached egg. I recommend using wild, Pacific salmon – the flavor is mild and so delicious! Sprinkle the top with a bit of fresh dill, diced shallots and capers for the finishing touch. If you want to make this breakfast recipe extra fancy, add a few spoonfuls of salmon roe on top!
- Want to learn how to make poached eggs? Check out my video recipe for ‘Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict’ to see how it’s done!
- In addition to an already incredible dish, try serving this potato galette with some homemade chimichurri sauce. The fresh flavor of the sauce really brightens up the dish and takes it to a whole new level! Check out my video recipe for this sauce HERE!
Enjoyed this incredible potato recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Bacon Breakfast Potatoes – the best ever breakfast potatoes, with bacon bits, carrots and poached eggs!
- Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict – my all-time favorite breakfast recipe! Smoked salmon, avocado, poached eggs and homemade Hollandaise sauce!
- Potato Breakfast Skillet – loaded with peppers, sausage and potatoes, this breakfast dish is so delicious!
- Zucchini & Sausage Shakshuka – this Middle Eastern dish is so rich and aromatic, with zucchini, sausage and eggs cooked in a tomato sauce!
Share it on Pinterest!
Breakfast Potato Galette Recipe (video)
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- sprinkle EACH: ground black pepper, garlic powder
- 2 to 3 tbsp butter
- 4 ounces smoked salmon
- 1 large, ripe avocado
- small bunch fresh dill, chopped
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 1 tbsp capers
For Poached Eggs:
- 4 large, organic eggs
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/4 cup Chimichurri Sauce, optional
- Peel and grate the potatoes into a large bowl and soak them in cold water for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, squeeze out all the water and place the potatoes into a large bowl. Season the grated potatoes with salt, ground black pepper, thyme and garlic powder (optional).
- Preheat a medium, non-stick pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter and melt. Spread the grated potatoes into the pan, pressing them firmly with your hand to pack potatoes into a pancake. Close the pan with lid and cook, not disturbing, for 8-10 minutes, until edges of the potato pancake are golden brown. Place a plate over the galette, hold firmly in place and invert the pancake. Add an additional 1 tablespoon butter into the hot pan and cook the other side of the galette. Cook for an additional 8-10 minutes, covered, until the potatoes are crispy.
- While cooking the galette, prepare the poached eggs. Fill a small saucepan with water, add the vinegar and season generously with salt. Bring the water up to a simmer over high heat, then reduce the heat to low. The water needs to be barely simmering. Break one egg at a time into small ramekin and swirl the simmering water gently in one direction using a spoon. Drop the egg into the swirling water and let the egg cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, barely simmering, until the whites are completely cooked. Remove the egg using a slotted spoon and place onto a tray lined with paper towels to absorb the water. Repeat the process for the remaining eggs. Keep the poached eggs covered and warm until ready to serve.
- Once the galette is ready, divide it into quarters and serve hot, topped with smoked salmon, egg, avocado, diced shallot, dill and/or capers.
- For optional chimichurri sauce, simply place all ingredients into a food processor and mix until thick sauce forms. Adjust salt as needed. Watch my video recipe to see how it's prepared; linked above in the recipe post.
- Enjoyed this recipe? Please consider leaving me a comment or rating review to help my blog!