Warm Couscous Salad with Vegetables
If you love couscous, you’re going to love this easy and delicious warm couscous salad recipe with vegetables! It’s made with aromatic and delicious garlic couscous, cooked with olive oil and garlic powder. This easy salad recipe is made with simple ingredients like garbanzo beans, tomatoes, zucchini and avocado. I like to serve this salad warm as a side dish, or enjoy it as a snack!
What is Couscous?
Couscous is a small, pearled pasta that is so versatile as a base or filler ingredient for soups, stews and salads! This type of granular pasta comes in different sizes, too. For this warm couscous salad, I recommend using the larger pearled couscous because it holds its shape better, especially for this salad. You can even buy couscous with a packet of seasonings, which makes it even easier to prepare!
The Garlic & Olive Oil Couscous
The base of this delicious warm salad is the pearled garlic couscous, prepared with garlic powder, olive oil and chicken broth! I recommend using chicken broth instead of water for even more flavor! Just bring the broth to simmer in a medium saucepan, then add the couscous, garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil. Bring the couscous to a simmer again, then cover and cook for 15 minutes. The pasta will absorb the water and grow in size. Fluff the couscous with a fork and it’s ready to be used!
Making a Warm Couscous Salad
This easy warm couscous salad recipe is made with just a few simple ingredients!
- You’ll need to finely dice a large avocado, a large tomato (I recommend heirloom), a small zucchini and a few green onions.
- Once the pasta is done cooking, toss it together with the veggies, olive oil and a bit of lemon zest! The lemon zest will give the salad a great refreshing flavor twist!
- Season the salad with salt and pepper to taste and then enjoy!
Enjoyed this easy salad recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Zesty Grilled Veggies – easy, grilled veggie salad with zucchini, peppers and mushrooms, with a garlic dressing!
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad – loaded with all the flavors of the Mediterranean, plus juicy pork tenderloin!
- Easy Mushroom Rice – the best mushroom rice, prepared simply with butter mushrooms and seasonings!
Share it on Pinterest!
Warm Couscous Salad
For the Couscous:
- 1 cup pearled couscous
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 tsp EACH: salt, garlic powder
- ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 tbsp olive oil
For the Salad:
- 12 ounces canned garbanzo beans, chickpeas, drained
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 green scallions, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- zest from 1 lemon
- salt and pepper, to taste
- First, prepare the couscous for the salad. Bring the broth or water to a simmer in a medium-sized saucepan. Add in the couscous, salt, garlic powder, a bit of ground black pepper and olive oil. Stir to combine all the ingredients, then bring the couscous to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and cook over low heat for another 15 to 17 minutes, until the water has been absorbed. Fluff the couscous with a fork and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, prepare the veggies. Dice the avocado, tomato, scallion and zucchini into pea-sized pieces and place into a large bowl. Drain the chickpeas and add those to the bowl.
- Add the warm, prepared couscous, along with the olive oil and lemon zest. Season the salad to taste with salt and pepper and toss all the ingredients together. Serve warm.