The ultimate breakfast for the chocolate lover! This rich recipe is not for the light hearted! These extra fluffy, buttermilk chocolate pancakes are made with a chocolate batter, loaded with chocolate chips and topped with a simple chocolate syrup made with melted chocolate and sweetened condensed milk! Wow, so much chocolate in one recipe! If you don’t have the time to make your own chocolate sauce, a store-bought version will also work well!
Watch My Video!
Watch my video for step-by-step instructions and all the details. Want to receive new recipe emails in your inbox? Make sure to subscribe to my website and my YouTube channel and turn on notifications!
The Secret to Fluffy Pancakes
And these pancakes are unbelievably fluffy! We’ve had a basic pancake recipe in our family for decades that’s easily adjustable to incorporate any flavor, such as this chocolate version. The secret is the buttermilk! It interacts with the baking soda and baking powder, creating air pockets as the batter cooks. If you can’t find buttermilk or just don’t have some and want to make this recipe, don’t worry! You can make your own at home. Simply combine 1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon white vinegar and allow the milk to sour for 5 minutes, then use in this recipe!
Triple Chocolate Flavor
To add the most incredible and rich chocolate flavor to these fluffy pancakes, I added dark cocoa powder directly into the pancake batter! I also added 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips for those melted chocolate bits in every bite! You can use regular or mini chips for this recipe!
And then to top things off, I made a simple chocolate sauce to pour over the pancakes! Тhis easy syrup requires just two ingredients: melted chocolate and sweetened condensed milk. Just combine the two together and viola! If you want a less sweet chocolate sauce, simply replace the condensed milk with regular cream. Heat the cream until it’s lukewarm, then combine with the chocolate.
Enjoyed this decadent and rich breakfast recipe? Check out some of my other recipes you’re sure to enjoy!
- Dutch Baby Pancake – this unique and fluffy pancake is prepared in a cast-iron pan and topped with fruit!
- Strawberry Pancakes – super fluffy and fruit pancakes with strawberry pieces and strawberry sauce!
- Blueberry Pancakes – another fruity and delicious pancake recipe dotted with blueberries, with maple syrup!
- The BEST French Toast – seriously delicious french toast made with brioche bread, maple syrup and berries!
Share it on Pinterest!
Triple Chocolate Pancakes (video)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
For Chocolate Syrup:
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, butter, egg, sugar and vanilla until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Whisk in the dry ingredients gradually, whisking batter until smooth after each addition. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Preheat small, non-stick frying pan or pancake griddle to medium heat. Add pancake batter to hot pan/griddle and cook on first side for about 2 minutes; bubbles should be rising and breaking the surface and edges should be cooked. Use a large spatula to turn pancakes over and cook on second side for 1 minutes.
- For the chocolate syrup: melt chocolate chips in microwave and stir until smooth. Add 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk and stir. Microwave mixture for about 1 minute and stir until smooth. Serve with hot pancakes.